Ubuntu 8.04 distro problem trying to install tools (kismet, wireshark etc.)

<<

Infernox222

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:23 am

Ubuntu 8.04 distro problem trying to install tools (kismet, wireshark etc.)

Hello all, so I am happy to say I am fully running Linux for the first time - though it was on the top of my 'to do' list. I chose to go with Ubuntu 8.04 which was released this morning. Being so new to Linux I am sooo lost on how to do anything. I am trying to install the tools described to me in my reading (kismet, airsnort, cowpatty, asleap, and wireshark) and I am extremely confused on how to 'execute' the downloads. I seem to bee extremely pampered in the Windows 'double click install' method and am in need of some reteaching. Can anyone give me some newbie Linux pointers or point me to a good site that can?

On a similar/unrelated subject can anyone suggest to me a good USB/PCMCIA-E wireless for sniffing/injecting packets?
<<

pseud0

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:06 am

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 distro problem trying to install tools (kismet, wireshark etc.)

when you are trying to install these, are you going to the site that is hosting the software or installing it through the package manager?  (in other words, downloading a .tgz from a site or doing an apt-get?)  Before you get to far along, go into the menu bar, get to the system administration menu, and look for the synaptic package manager.  This is a GUI front end that will help you find stuff to install.  Do searches for the software you are looking for.  About 50% of it will already be supported in there.  For a pampered Windows type this is as close as you'll get to point and click.  For everything else, do a google search on "Ubuntu install [software x]"  The community is really good about posting guides for most things.
CISSP, CISM, CISA, GCIH, GREM, CEH, HMFIC, KTHXBIROFLCOPTER
<<

Infernox222

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:42 am

I downloaded the .tgz files and dont know how to use them. I will do a google on them and see what I turn up. Btw my goal is to no longer be a pampered Windows type. The readme for some of the sites says use ./configure /make /make install (reciting from memory I will edit after a google if they are wrong) Should I target the directory and try the commands?

Thank you,
Mike
Last edited by Infernox222 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Bogwitch

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:14 am

Infernox222,

The tgz files are tarred and gzipped, bundled archives effectively, similar to zip or rar files.

You will need to untar them, tar will handle the gzip compression.

With tar you can use the 't' option to test the archive or the 'x' option to extract. Most software will be distributed to unpack into it's own directory although some, usually smaller hacking tools imo, will unpack into the current directory, therefore it is a good idea to test the archive first just to see where everything is going to get dumped.

To test, 'tar tvvofp filename.tgz'
to extract, 'tar xvvofp filename.tgz'

Once you have unpacked them, cd to the directory created (if it did) then you will want to run your './configure' - './configure' reads information about your machine to ensure that the executable is compiled correctly for your system - then the 'make' - 'make' compiles the executable. When you run 'make install' - 'make install' installs the compiles parts of the application into the 'standard' sytem directories - you will need to run as root.
CISSP, C|EH, C|HFI
<<

Infernox222

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:42 am

Bogwitch,

Thank you very very much! Not only did you tell me how it is done but (imo) the more important why it is done. Once i get back home I will run them and try to keep the 'newbie' questions to a min.

Does anyone happen to have a suggestion or requierments to look for in wireless cards for sniffing? (chipset freq etc)

Thank you,
Mike
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:34 am

Infernox222,

if you check out this link, http://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=comp ... ty_drivers, it details the chipsets/drivers that can work with airodump (de-facto standard for wireless stuffs).

This way your don't have to trust to hope that your newly purchased wireless can can be placed into monitor mode or inject packets.

<edit> after re-reading my own link (pulled from my bookmarks from too long ago) it also discusses the best cards on the market</edit>

Hope this helps.
Last edited by RoleReversal on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Infernox222

Post Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:49 am

RoleReversal,

Thank you as well. I am headin out after work to get a DLink DWA-643 PCMCIA-E card (Atheros chipset) from Best Buy. I look forward to testing it vs my desktop :)
<<

jason

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Pulling down the packages manually is actually the hard way for more common installs that can be found in the standard repositories. For kismet and wireshark, you could just do:

sudo apt-get install kismet wireshark

from a terminal.
<<

Kev

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:02 pm

After you install your tools you might find that they still dont work, Reason is you must be sure that the tools and driver patches you are using work with the particular kernel version that came with the distro. I am using an older release of Ubuntu and the kernel version is 2.6.20-15-generic and everything works fine.
<<

jason

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:09 pm

Very true. Kismet, in particular, will need additional configuration after install. This is not unusual.
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:00 am

kismet requires you to edit the .conf to specify your interface, this is in the readme.  its one line.
<<

jason

Post Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:35 am

Yes, presuming that your wireless card(s) are working  ;) Of course, there's also GPS, mapping, etc... to configure if you want to do the whole shebang.

Return to Network Pen Testing