I want to learn

<<

alien8predator

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:55 am

I want to learn

Hey Everyone,

I'm a helpdesk employee and I'm working on my MCDST and really interested in learning about etical hacking. I've bought the CEH book, and I've been studying the first two chapters; but I just wanted everyone's opinion of what's the best place for me to start? I'm really eager to learn so I'll be happy for any respsonses  :)
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:17 am

Re: I want to learn

alien8predator,

good advice when starting out is to read everything you can get your hads on. This site can be a good starting point, with links off to various other good sources.

Unless your Linux skills are great to start with you may want to download BackTrack to get some working tools. De-ice.net also have some nice virtual machines that you can use as target machines when starting to get your feet wet.

Welcome to EH-net, happy hunting
<<

alien8predator

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:22 am

I've also read on another forum it's smart to learn a programming language? Would you recommend that? and if so? C or C++ or a different programming language?
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:00 am

Depends entirely on what you are trying to achieve.

If you are trying to automate routines and tool usage, go for something like shell or perl.

If you want to code exploits or tools from scratch go the C route.

This topic has been covered extensively in these forums previously so I'd recommend the search box for more analysis.

I would definitely recommend learning to program though as it can difficult to use/fix/modify existing tools without the base knowledge.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:23 am

Read the 2 pinned threads at the top of this forum board. This will give you a great start into answering your questions.

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... oard,22.0/

Welcome to EH-Net, and we look forward to helping you grow your career.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

alien8predator

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:58 pm

thanks for the advice. I'll read the two pinned threads. The thing I'm wanting to learn is how to hack company systems and after having hacked in being able to tighten up the security. that's my dream job. Internet Security. Which programming language is useful for that? thanks for all the welcomes :)
Last edited by alien8predator on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

vijay2

Post Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Well i can understand your enthusiasm of hacking into your company systems ... but before you break into one .. make sure you have written permission to do so from a C-level executive or a very good lawyer. 
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+

Return to Network Pen Testing