"Link Farms"

<<

venom77

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:58 pm

"Link Farms"

Everyone's seen them, those annoying sites with "related search results" listed all over the place when you accidentally type a domain name wrong.

Does anyone happen to know what can be done about them? As far as getting your name removed from that list? If you type our company domain name, off by 1 character, it pulls up one of those types of sites. Our company name is listed in the "search results" but actually leads to other sites. Anyone have any idea?
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:59 pm

Re: "Link Farms"

how about buying the domain name?
<<

venom77

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:31 pm

Yeah, that was my first thought... I was looking for the "this domain is for sale" or "buy this domain" link/text somewhere...

Unfortunately, no such luck. Each one I've come across has already been registered (privately of course) with Moniker Online Services (moniker.com) and their nameservers are 'hitfarm.com' (Hmm..)

Somehow I don't think whoever has control of those domains would be willing to sell them, and if so I'm sure the price will be outrageous... but it's still worth a shot.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:02 pm

BillV wrote:Anyone have any idea?

Yep, but most of them involve blunt, rusty objects so I'll hold my piece. ;)

Only ethical thing I could suggest is going down the trademark type route in court etc. Not sure how quick/successful this could be (I'm guessting , 'not very') especially as I'm guessing the domains are registered by parties 'over-seas'.

Unfortunately, I think this is likely to be something that just 'happens', at least until user training/awareness is at a level that people spot these sites, realise they are in the wrong place and re-type the URL. At which point the commercial gain from running the sites should take a hit.

None of this is likely to help your particular situation any time soon though, sorry. From similiar experiences I find these are 'grin and bear it' moments. Hopefully you can prove me wrong...
<<

venom77

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:34 pm

Haha, yeah I feel the same way :)

It seems (at this point) the legal route is the only way to go :(

I've contacted both the registrar and the hosting provider and we will be sending formal documents soon. If I come up with anything else I'll let you know.
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:43 pm

i think most people do that for a quick buck.  how quick and how big that buck is will depend on how big and important the real domain name is.

i'm pretty sure just buying the domain will be cheaper than any litigation but still feeds the POS that do that sort of thing.
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:20 pm

Well funny you should ask as not all the domain mis-spells are bought. Since i have the inside on how some ISP's work I will let you know that if your DNS is from the ISP it is sometimes an extra revanew source to redirect the non-existing domain names to a paid service to point you too ads. I am not saying your ISP is doing this but try a whois on the domain that comes up and if it is not registered them you know the redirect is being done at the DNS server you are using.

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

venom77

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:42 pm

Chris:
Yeah, I agree. I'm hoping it won't go that far. We had something similar happen with some people stealing content from our website, then building their own site to impersonate our company. The registrar/host was GoDaddy, and once we informed them they had no problem taking control of the domain and canceling the hosting. Hopefully we'll get something nice and quick like that done this time.

Brian:
Thanks for the tip. I had not thought of that before. That doesn't seem to be happening for my specific case this time (as I am able to get whois info -  private registrations), but I will definitely check into that the next time I see this happen.

Return to Other