Information Security Roadmap

<<

maumercado

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:45 pm

Information Security Roadmap

First of all Hello to All, I want to tell you little bit about me; I just began in the Information security field, something im really happy about  ;D because I have always liked it!
I have a Bachelors Degree in electronic Engineering, and I have been working for a month and a half as an application security analyst. Ive been making plans and choosing certifications to do and masters degree to get in the past few weeks.

Ive chosen the following certifications to do in that order, beginning this year:

Network+, security+, linux+, CEH, OSCP, GSEC, CISA, and before CISSP I was thinking of applying for the msise program of sans, but Im not so sure. I like sans because well theyre certifications are great, and besides getting the masters degree with em I also get a lot of GOLD certifications, but I have also looked at other information security masters program from university of phoenix, nsu, capella and royal holloway university in london!

What would you guys suggest, is the sans program adequate or should I choose another institution or university?
I know sans is a good choice but im still unsure.

Im planning on doing the master degree in 3 or 4 years! the certifications im studying net+ and sec+ as Im writing this.
About the sec+ and net+ Ive heard they were about to update the certs is this true? if so, is it worth it to get certified now or should i wait fo the update?

All Suggestions are welcome, and thank you in advance!
<<

maumercado

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:46 pm

Re: Information Security Roadmap

also what are your suggestions about the certs ive chosen?
<<

shawal

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:39 pm

maumercado ,

one factor you need to research regarding the universities is how up2date is their program? the university of Holloway program was excellent 3-5 years ago, however i have not followed it up, and i know it was mostly generic as in any masters program, the burden is mostly in the graduate students. the freshness (out of date) factor is also important in certifications, I have found one of the SANS certification a bit out of date, however the instructors were active security consultants and he gave us more insight on what is happening today, and possible future trends.

good Luck with your roadmap

W.
RHCE, GIAC GCIH.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:46 am

maumercado,

I'm in a similiar situation to yourself having graduated within the last 12months. I've looked at every cert you've list whilst trying to determine my next step. One thing I'd be wary of is that a lot of the material covered within different certs will be similar (C|EH and OSCP for example). Therefore it may be wise to select one cert from each group and focus on that to prevent spending resources on skills and knowledge you have already gained.

It may be cliched but make sure you get enough hands on experience whilst getting your certs. Apart from it being a good foundation/test for the topics you are studying you might just have some fun at the same time.

Good luck out there
<<

maumercado

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:09 am

Thank you for your responses...

About the master programs, yes im looking for updated material, and also a great reputation master in information security program and university reputation, impressive success stories and stuff like that.

About the certification road, well the reason ive been thinking in CEH and oscp is because in an old post here, dont remember exactly when and who posted it, said that OSCP was a good complement of CEH, now that and update in ceh is due july Ill have to wait and see, but I think CEH is more reputation than anything, its great but its a theory test only, as far as i know, so im leaning more towards OSCP because is not only theorical but also a hands on hacking test!

But youre right RoleReversal CEH ans OSCP are consider to be on the same level, im thinking in adding CISA, ECSA and LPT, one or two of those three, dont know wich one, or maybe GCIA and GCIH.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:27 am

maumercado wrote:im thinking in adding CISA, ECSA and LPT, one or two of those three, dont know wich one, or maybe GCIA and GCIH.

Obviously it depends on your skillset and goals, but as a sounding board I'm leaning very heavily towards going for the GCIH with SANS 504 training.
<<

vijay2

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:43 am

As RoleReversal said, going for SANS GCIA or GCIH is the way to go if you have the skill set. Though SANS does not put and prerequisites on these courses you can get over whelmed on the first day itself if you do not have a Security+ level knowledge. 
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

maumercado

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:47 pm

going for SANS GCIA or GCIH is the way to go if you have the skill set.

I like those certs but youre right about the skill set, thats why I want to do the security+ and network+ first, and wait at least till I have 1 year o year and a half experience as a security analyst!

I think CISA, GCIA and GCIH are greats certs to add, but still unsure about the master degree, to be more accurate about where to apply, sans, nsu, u of phoenix, capella??
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:21 pm

I picked up my masters form Colorado Technical University. The focus there was not so much on the technical aspects fo security, but on management and policy to prepair you for a future role as management with a heavy focus on project engineering. That being said, certs are a good way to get some hands on. While studying, you will find areas that you want to know more about and some areas to dabble in. Take your time and get the hands on. For example, the C|EH is best suited for some one with hands on. To get this though, you will want a virtual lab that you can play in. Some where here in the forums there are some suggestions as to what you should have for your labs.

Plan the masters for where you want to go with your career. Mine built the foundation and now I'm looking to learn more. Good luck.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

raindiver

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:58 pm

Hi.

I've been doing some research on available infosec master degree programs.I like SANS master degree program very much and the focus they give it as for the technical aspect.Getting certs along is always a plus.
However i can't find anyone who have taken SANS master program so i can take it as a reference.Is there anyone in here who has taken this program?

Thanks

Return to Career Central