Ubuntu Linux proved to be secure out of the box

<<

shawal

Post Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:05 pm

Ubuntu Linux proved to be secure out of the box

Its over a week now, and no ethical hacker wants to admit it!
the CanSecWest2008 proved that Linux or more preciesly Ubuntu Linux Configuration (an updated one of course) was hard to crack compared to Vista, and Mac. the problems with the later were mostly client application attacks, however still Linux seems to be a bit harder to bite  ;D

http://www.linux.com/feature/131059

Client application security, web browsing, email, document reading are the main easy traget for system compromise
RHCE, GIAC GCIH.
<<

Marshel007

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:13 am

Re: Ubuntu Linux proved to be secure out of the box

Linux Rulez, Linux Rocks  ;D
<<

shawal

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:24 pm

_Marshel_ ,

the point was that systems, or operating systems especially on the server have far better security than before as a default setting (AV, IDS, antispam, antispyware, personal firewalls, etc).

however client software can open big doors, and through this networks, and trusted servers can be exploited.

the client software that was exploited in Windows vista, and on the MAC can be argued to have similar flaws in Linux, however in Linux you have other layers of defense (local home dir, user account priviliges, apparmor or selinux security domains).

so may be Linux Rocks, however if we are not careful enough we and the day to day client applications we use are the weakest link
RHCE, GIAC GCIH.
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:17 pm

i wouldnt quite say that, there was an unpatched open office exploit for ubuntu in immunity's canvas for several months before it was patched.
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:38 pm

Also in the interview with the guy who targeted Vista, and I believe Mac, he said next year he'll target Linux.  His view was that they are really all the same, which is a bit pessimisted compared to my own view... I prefer Linux, but I'd admit there are flaws and bugs for each.  Was rather interesting his trying to sell his laptop that might have 'traces' of his 0-day exploit on it on Ebay.  He appearently wanted to see what a 0-day exploit would go for on the open market, though he claimed by the time the bids finalized, Adobe was supposed to have a patch out for the bug he had found.  Either way, I don't know enough personally about making holes in any OS to comment professionally. 
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:01 am

I believe the choice of OS is becoming less of a factor in determining security. The Vista and Mac machines were cracked using exploits in apps not the OS (if I'm wrong can someone correct me, haven't had my morning coffee yet ;) ). As OSes get better at security, the bad guys move to the next softest target, this seems to be client apps.

Windows (and increasingly Mac) have the largest 'user' base therefore more potential people to do dumb things. Due to the niche, Linux is mostly used by 'computer people' who are less likely to do 'dumb' things.

OS level security is not important if a user is quite happy click every OK prompt going to see their 'video'.

Return to News from the Outside World