SANS 560 - GPEN to be offered via SANS @Home

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:45 am

SANS 560 - GPEN to be offered via SANS @Home

Few quotes about this course from Ed Skoudis himself:

I'm very excited that SANS has scheduled my brand-new penetration testing course to be offered on-line via SANS@Home.  This course is called SANS Security 560: Network Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking, starts June 12, and you can take it from the comfort of your own browser, interacting with me, your instructor, across the Internet as the course unfolds over 7 weeks.

This new class is jam-packed with techniques and hands-on exercises to help prepare attendees to conduct professional penetration tests and ethical hacking exercises.  I spent over 5 months in developing the course, brainstorming with some of the best penetration testers in the business to make sure we cover the most effective techniques in use today.

We'll discuss and perform hands-on exercises with the latest Nmap functionality, including its Nmap Scripting Engine, Metasploit 3 features including the ultra-powerful Meterpreter, password attacks using Rainbow Tables and Windows pass-the-hash techniques, web app manipulation with cross-site request forgery and both stored and reflected cross-site scripting, and a lot more.

This is the most hands-on course I've ever created for SANS, because professional penetration testers need to know not just how the attacks work, but how to use them in a test, conducted in a safe and careful fashion with the appropriate permission.  Throughout the course, you'll be running exercises against our lab, accessed across the Internet via VPN.

For more information and pricing:
http://www.sans.org/info/27089

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

shawal

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:36 pm

Re: SANS 560 - GPEN to be offered via SANS @Home

Very Interesting indeed. would the labs vpn option be available to the other course deployment methods ( conference, SANS On Demans ( in the future  ;D )? it would be great if one can walk away with a virtual lab, or at least still have access to the labs, and possibly more challanges after the conference course end. I see this as a clear advantage to the sans @home over the conference.
RHCE, GIAC GCIH.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:03 am

Damn!

Why do people have to keep releasing cool courses faster than I can attend them ???
<<

humv

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:34 pm

Good day,
  I am currently attending the SANS 560 @Home.  I must admit Ed is an excellent instructor.  I could see where he might get swamped with questions thou.  There is from what I can tell 90 students on the course.  Well it's off to study and try out the VPN and do a little scanning  ;)

humv
Certifications: EETN, CCNA, GCFW, GAWN, GCFA, GPEN, GCIA, GCWN
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:38 pm

Welcome to EH-Net. Keep us posted on the course. If you need anything, let us all know. We'll do our best to help without giving away the farm.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

humv

Post Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:20 pm

Well, the third session is over and let me tell you I really want to hit the internet and do some scanning but without permission I will have to be satisfied with the SANS test environment.  The third day was Hping3, NMAP.  Some interesting stuff you can do with this, also tcpdump.  Ed definately has the ability to keep your attention focused on the topic at hand.  I must admit I enjoy the @Home for the simple fact that you take have a days worth of material in and then you get either 2 days or 4 days to practice it.  I think this is probably the best environment for hands on practice.  Well, off to do some scanning on the SANS environment.

Later
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:01 am

Humv,

thanks for the update, one thing that has always concerned me about taking an Ʒonline' style course is the facilities provided by the organisations labs. Are the SANs labs providing you enough opportunity to test and play with what you are learning or are you still finding the need to play with your own environment?

Thanks,
RR
<<

humv

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:14 am

The labs are great.  Basically they leave it open 24/7 with the machines resetting at the top of the hour.  That way if you kill a machine you just need to wait til the top of the hour and then start hacking away at them again.  I have the best job, I have access to our external network at work so I've been playing at work also.  I have nothing but positive things to say about the course.  I would recommend it to anybody.  So basically instead of hacking away during course hours for 6 days I get to hack away 24/7 for the whole 6-7 weeks the course is running.  Same information as being in class except you can do it naked if you want to  ;)
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:38 pm

Cheers for the info, the hourly re-fresh is a nice touch.
<<

humv

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:08 pm

Well, working on the 4th book this week, only issue is that I don't have the same book as everyone else :'(.  Other than that this course is definately a must take.  I would also recommend the @Home just for the fact that you can practice all the stuff they teach you.  I must admit I was a little concerned to begin with, I have bare knowledge in linux.  I would recommend that anybody taking the course get up to speed on linux first.  Lot of windows and linux fu.  Well, a couple more weeks left.  It funny because I want to just go out there and start scanning everything on the internet but I must not ::).  So I will have to stick to my VM images to hack away at.  Well that's it for now
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:29 pm

Humv can you provide us with an update? Thanks
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com

Return to GPEN - GIAC Certified Penetration Tester