I need some opinions.

<<

cleanwithit0607

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:31 am

I need some opinions.

Hello all. I'm a 19 year old college student. I will graduate next year with two Associates Degree's, one in Nework Administration, the other in Information Systems Security. I go to well known technical college here in Kentucky. Prometric, and Vue are located at my Tech school. From my time there until graduation, I will recieve my A+, Net+, CNA, MCP, MSCE, MSCA, CCNA, SCNP, SCNA. After that I'm going to get my Bachelor's degree in Computer Science. I know I want to focus my career on Security. So what other certifications are out there for Security? That are well known? Becuase I want to self study for these other certification before I graduate so I can have a edge when it comes to getting a job. Thanks for reading. By the way, this site is awesome.
A+, Network +, Security +, Linux +,

MCP/MCTS: Vista Config.

Work in progress: CEH

Currently Reading: Hacking-The Art Of Exploitation.

Recommended book: Counter Hack Reloaded.
<<

cleanwithit0607

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:36 am

Re: I need some opinions.

After doing a little bit of research. I guess the first "Security" Certification I will start with is Security +. Is this a good stepping stone in Network Security?

<<

pseud0

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:54 pm

quick list after Security +:
-CISSP
-CISM
-CISA
-CEH
-OSCP
-GCIH

Please note that you'll do better starting off with the more technical certs (CEH, OSCP) because the more administrative ones (CISSP, CISM, CISA) require years of employment in the field. 
CISSP, CISM, CISA, GCIH, GREM, CEH, HMFIC, KTHXBIROFLCOPTER
<<

iSmith

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:08 pm

security + is a good move. you should check out this link for whatever ebooks you need.
http://www.network-ebooks.com
In my eyes, your operating system is as solid as swiss cheese.
<<

eth3real

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:38 pm

iSmith wrote:security + is a good move. you should check out this link for whatever ebooks you need.
http://www.network-ebooks.com

I highly doubt that website legal, considering those are all copyrighted works that most people have to pay for.

I'm all for free stuff, but I wouldn't want anyone to get in trouble for copyright infringement.
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
<<

shawal

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:39 am

I would say concentrate on your University Bacholres studies, and choose your subjects wisely. that is either choose a subject to strengthen a techical weakness, or to explore in depth more an area you enjoy and you have a slight exposure to it. one problem is that some of the universities and some of the textbook do not catch up with the latest trends, techniques,  and technologies. this can be influenced by you in the course assigmnets, and subject research during studies. if you insist and you still want to do certifications, as advised before a general security certification such as secuirty+, or similar should be useful. if you have the cash which i doubt, or your training is sponosered you can opt for the SANS masters program where you do a number of security certifications and technical reports to gain an accredidted master degree in information security http://www.sans.edu, it is still possible doing it as a volunteer, check SANS sites for how, however unlike other certifications you will not be finishing it in less than a year time  :)
RHCE, GIAC GCIH.
<<

cleanwithit0607

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:15 am

shawal wrote:I would say concentrate on your University Bacholres studies, and choose your subjects wisely. that is either choose a subject to strengthen a techical weakness, or to explore in depth more an area you enjoy and you have a slight exposure to it. one problem is that some of the universities and some of the textbook do not catch up with the latest trends, techniques,  and technologies. this can be influenced by you in the course assigmnets, and subject research during studies. if you insist and you still want to do certifications, as advised before a general security certification such as secuirty+, or similar should be useful. if you have the cash which i doubt, or your training is sponosered you can opt for the SANS masters program where you do a number of security certifications and technical reports to gain an accredidted master degree in information security http://www.sans.edu, it is still possible doing it as a volunteer, check SANS sites for how, however unlike other certifications you will not be finishing it in less than a year time  :)

Thanks for the insight. One cool thing about my Technical School, they allow you to come back and sit in a class for FREE! So I can keep updated with the latest technology. Well being that I wont have any kind of loans whenever I graduate because of Financial Aid/UPS/Savings, I might do the Sans Master Degree Program. It would probably pay off, and look really good on a resume. I've just started studying for the Security +. I will let you guys know when I pass. Thanks.

<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:59 am

cleanwithit0607 wrote:Thanks for the insight. One cool thing about my Technical School, they allow you to come back and sit in a class for FREE!

Sweet! Wish my University had that arrangement, from someone trying to pay for extra training after graduating take full advantage.

Welcome to EH-Net.
<<

iSmith

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:58 am

Wicked!  ;D  ???are you sure you're 19 to have all those stuff?.
anyway a good site for self-study is http://www.network-ebooks.com
In my eyes, your operating system is as solid as swiss cheese.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:14 am

iSmith wrote:Wicked!  ;D  ???are you sure you're 19 to have all those stuff?.
anyway a good site for self-study is http://www.network-ebooks.com

iSmith, you on commission for these guys or something?

As many have said previously the downloads from these sites aren't legit, as this is ethical-hacker.net and many of us spend large amounts of hard earned currency buying legitimate copies of these resources any chance you could stop giving them free publicity?

If you need free/copy-left resources for training and study, I'd recommend google.com as the only site you need.
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:22 pm

make sure you take some programming classes, you'll need those later.
<<

apollo

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:51 pm

Since you already have access to Cisco equipment for the CCNA, you may want to work on your CCSP.  Make sure when you hit college for your Computer Science degree, that you pay attention in assembly class, I wish that I had paid more attention there.  If any scripting languages are taught, that will be helpful for you to pick up either there or on your own.  As far as certs go, I wouldn't go and get a lot of certs before you get experience in the workplace.  They may get you in the door some places, but if you load up on certs now, they will be a pain to maintain later.  It sounds like you already have some strong certs, with CISSP being a good one to come later, but you can use the certs in the future to potentially leverage more pay in jobs once you start.  If you are interested in SANS classes, the 504 class isn't a bad start, I really enjoyed it.
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+
<<

cleanwithit0607

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:34 am

Good News. I work for UPS partime while going to school($9). I know somebody that's in charge of the IT department at UPS. I got hired making $14 an hour. WOW! I mean UPS only has one of the biggest networks in the world. So I can get more experience while going to school. I'm so happy!

<<

RoleReversal

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:30 am

cleanwithit0607,

sounds like you're getting all the breaks! 8)

Make the most of the opportunity and good luck in your new role.
<<

cleanwithit0607

Post Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:03 pm

RoleReversal wrote:cleanwithit0607,

sounds like you're getting all the breaks! 8)

Make the most of the opportunity and good luck in your new role.

Thanks RoleReversal,

I'm making the most of it, I love it. I'm so glad I'm not pushing packages anymore :)

Update: I just recieved the Sybex Security+ book. I'm in the process of studying now.

I will keep updating, this may turn into a blog. lol

Next

Return to General Certification