Add CLI tools to Ubuntu App Menu

<<

venom77

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:04 pm

Add CLI tools to Ubuntu App Menu

Alright, so I'm trying to figure out how I can create shortcuts in the Gnome application menu on Ubuntu to launch standard CLI tools (nmap, dig, anything else). I've found the 'edit menu' utility, but when I have it create a 'terminal application' link and then click it from the menu, I just get the terminal to flash for a split second and then close. I haven't had any luck searching for this on the web. Any suggestions?
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:00 am

Re: Add CLI tools to Ubuntu App Menu

Bill,

I'm sure it's a nasty hack and someone will be able to provide a better solution. For the same issue I just set the command to pipe it's output through more/less/<chooseYourPoison>, that way the terminal should remain open waiting for interaction.

I've only tried this under KDE so your mileage may vary, but I'm assuming the principal should be the same.
<<

venom77

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:02 am

Thanks for the idea, much appreciated.

I thought my issue may be a gnome limitation, so I've also downloaded and tried everything with KDE (kubuntu) as well, but experience the same problems.

I tried your idea out, and it did work to keep my terminal window open, but as soon as I was done cycling through the pages the terminal window closed. And that was only with KDE. With Gnome, I experienced the same original issue of the terminal opening then closing right away.

Another suggestion I found somewhere was to create a small script that calls the command/app within it. Same original issue.
<<

venom77

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:15 am

OK, so I decided to boot up BT to see how those guys have theirs setup. BT uses KDE, so I booted my Kubuntu VM back up.

I noticed that everything was 'command;sudo -s'. Sure enough, tried this on Kubuntu and it worked with no problem.

When I go back to Ubuntu and try the same, I receive "there was an error creating a child process for this terminal." Kind of weird since the command works fine from inside a terminal.

I tried switching it around.. "sudo nmap", but it just goes back to closing right away.

So it looks like KDE will work :) Getting closer at least, hopefully I'll figure out something with Gnome.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:38 am

BillV wrote:I noticed that everything was 'command;sudo -s'. Sure enough, tried this on Kubuntu and it worked with no problem.

Knew there would be a neater way of doing it. I've left my linux machine at work as I'm meant to be in holiday mode for Easter weekend. Let me know if you have any more luck and I'll try a few things once I get mty hands on one of my linux boxes

Return to Other