Where and how to gain knowledge?

<<

huckable

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:02 pm

Where and how to gain knowledge?

I need to learn about hacking. I need to learn, starting at a general level, how it works. Ultimately I'd like to be able to not only understand what all the hacking terms mean but, more importantly, how they work!

For example, I want to be able to take a piece of hackware and examine it, understand it, and know what it really does.

So, all that to say, what are some good resources for a novice?
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:03 pm

Re: Where and how to gain knowledge?

First of all, welcome to EH-Net.

Second of all, I could use your help. This question has been answered a number of times in the forums already in various places. To help those like yourself that come here asking where to start, I could use help in finding the list of threads with those answers, so I can make them a new sticky topic for all newcomers.

Can you do that for me? Ask around the neighborhood. They'll all tell you I know how to return a favor.

How's that for an offer you can't refuse?

In the meantime, try Hacking For Dummies: Ch 1 - Intro to Ethical Hacking

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

huckable

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:19 am

Don,
  I appreciate the response... here's the problem. I'm enough of a noob that I don't even know what I'm looking for. I'd be happy to search, but my questions don't seem to turn up in a search.

I've been to many forums over the years, and I can appreciate the "Oh no, another noob. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!" sentiment... I guess I'll do some more digging, but honestly.... I am very much a noob. So much so that the topics I need to learn about are rarely discussed.

Thanks...
<<

Bogwitch

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:48 pm

If you have specific questions, ask them but be warned: you'll likely get specific answers - it is unlikely you will get a hand-hold without doing some background research first.
Your example concerning hardware. That's a pretty big subject right there. Do you have an example of a piece of hardware and exactly what you want to know about it? Do you need to be able to look at a keyboard and work out how it converts each keypress into a signal which it sends to the computer? Do you need to look a a SCSI card and understand how it requests information from a hard disk drive and passes it to the other components connected to a motherboard?
CISSP, C|EH, C|HFI
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:09 pm

if you are unwilling or unable to learn how to search for the right material or be able to ask the right question, you may need to pick a different hobby.  there is an element of self learning, and having to ask a good question to get a good answer.

but since you are new, i'll help you.  looking at the various forums on this site, pick on the one that has the most posts, which happens to be this one "Ethical Hacking" which has 3000+ posts.  start looking at the topics of the threads, that should be a good start. 

if you are too lazy to do that, dont expect much help.

here's the link: http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... oard,22.0/
<<

geekyone

Post Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:52 pm

Here is a good thread to start on.  It has some good general advice for a beginner.

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,2186.0/
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

venom77

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:27 am

mambo wrote:I think tutorials regarding tools such as Nmap and command line tools such as netstat would be a massive help.

I also feel a tutorial on setting up a virtual environment or lab would be great as it would help us newbies do some hands on stuff without wrecking our computers or putting in the wrong ip and scanning some governement agency =]

I'm pretty sure this exists here somewhere...

edit:
Here you go..

VMware Lab Thread

VMware Lab Article
Last edited by venom77 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

eth3real

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:40 am

This thread also got a lot of great answers.
[Thread] An Ethical Hacker must have these skills...
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
<<

mambo

Post Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:48 am

Cheers guys!

I was just giving examples of the types of things i would be interested in reading up on from a quick browse.

Thanks again

Mambo
<<

JobMatchNow

Post Mon May 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Great responses...thanks alot!  ;D
<<

steirks

Post Sun May 24, 2009 8:25 pm

I say the quest for hacking starts at programming, in which case I'd learn basic programming like QBASIC where a lot of people start.

But honestly I think all the information you need to learn to hack comes from books. I figured I'd just post my suggested reads to you and others that read this topic just in case they come in handy at some point.

The Unofficial Guide to Ethical Hacking (I consider this a beginner's book)
Hacking Exposed 5th/6th Edition (as well as the other Hacking Exposed books)
The Art of Deception and The Art of Intrusion (classic novels)
Stealing The Network Series (definitely covers those concepts + terms)
Hacking: The Art of Exploitation (for advanced readers)

Those are just books that I found VERY useful in my day, and Hacking Exposed is one of the best of books out there read by professoinals everywhere.

Programming books of any kind, I'd suggest C/C++ are good of course to be able to examine a piece of hackware and understand what it does. However, on top of that you may want to look into Socket Programming once you learn the language itself, that's where networking really comes in.

Learning the art of hacking comes with CRAP LOADS of reading, be prepared to read because that's where the quest to quench your never ending thirst for knowledge starts and seems to never end.

One more place to look would be packetstorm or any other similar website's database of whitepapers and other "hacker papers" released to the public. These can be very useful.

Hope I was helpful to somebody.

EDIT: Oh wow, how could I forget the very important SAMS Teach Yourself TCP/IP in 24 Hours? That book really goes into detail and provides a bunch of visual tables and figures for you visual learners... It's great.
Last edited by steirks on Sun May 24, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

phn1x

Post Fri May 29, 2009 11:27 am

Seriously? QBasic? People use delphi and fortran more than they fucking use Qbasic. Not to mention it's useless.

He'd waste time learning it for nothing.
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri May 29, 2009 12:54 pm

If you don't have any programming foundation knowledge, QBasic is as good a place to start as any.  I started with Basic and moved to C. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

timmedin

Post Fri May 29, 2009 11:43 pm

Ketchup wrote:If you don't have any programming foundation knowledge, QBasic is as good a place to start as any.   I started with Basic and moved to C.   

I learned QBasic, but that was a long time ago. I'd recommend python then perl then c. Lots of the tools are written in python and perl so those are much more relevant.

I keep brining it up, but command line and command line scripting is very powerful and a good place to go too. You can get in to the inards of the OS and do some very powerful things, be more efficient, as well as script repetitive tasks.
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

steirks

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:40 pm

I said QBasic because I learned it very well when I was a only a kid in a few weeks if that. I saw enough to thrive for more powerful stuff.

I'm not sure how complex perl or any such scripting is compared to any BASIC languages because I havn't looked into them much but if they're anywhere near as easy then I'd suggest those instead for an introduction.

In my opinion, QBasic is the best way to jump into programming and see fast results, however, I agree that it's a basically useless language in today's world, almost as useless as your flaming.

Back on topic...
Next

Return to Network Pen Testing