Career Path Advice

<<

tntcoda

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:05 am

Career Path Advice

Old.
Last edited by tntcoda on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Re: Career Path Advice

First of all, welcome to EH-Net.

To answer your questions...

Security oriented career? Yes. Without a doubt unless you have doubt.

Foot in the door? Almost every IT job now has something to do with security. So when given the chance, tackle those projects and offer more of yourself to your bosses every time it comes to anything dealing with security.

Where to start? Your choice, but if security is what you want, try to get hired or get a get an internship with a security firm. It won't pay as much but the experience and knowledge you can put on your resume may end up being priceless.

Security career pay? I just spent all day in out booth at the MS launch event answering this and many familiar questions. Any job if you end up being the top in your field will pay well. It's up to what you want in your own career. But one thing I will mention is that I don't think this is a question that can be answered the way you worded it. Security is becoming much like the medical field. There are so many paths on can take and be in security. It is no longer a career path that can be described simply as "Security."

Hope that helps and is not too vague,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:02 am

Re: Career Path Advice

tntcoda,

welcome to EH-net,

This topic strikes close to home so I thought I'd provide you with my experience as it seems I'm running roughly 1 year ahead of you.

I graduated from a UK uni with a 1st class honours in computing. Like you I've always had an interest in security. Nearly been working in my current place for three years (one year placement, one year whilst completing final year and one year after graduating). Don's advice rings true, keep doing whatever your day job is and jump on any opportunity to work on a security related project.

I've mostly completed my usual tasks whilst focusing on the security aspects like tightening ACLs/firewall rules, hardening servers etc. I've also been fortunate (or unfortunate depending on your view point) in that I've handled a couple of real-world incidents. Nothing makes the management types look at you differently than when the senior guys start panicking and the new-comer whips out a backtrack/helix CD and deals with the situation calmly ;D

Basically, I'd echo Don's advice, get in where you can and push the security aspects where possible. If you company has any standards certifications (ISO 9001, 27001 etc.) this can be a good place to start by offering to do the security audits (that most people don't enjoy doing). If your place has a security department you can push for a transfer once you've 'proven' yourself, if you place doesn't have a security department then you amy become that department ;)

In terms of pay, I can't speak for the whole UK industry as I don't have that much experience, but from my experience security type people are being paid more than programmers at the moment. (But security is a hot topic in the UK currently so this could be a blip).

Good luck with your final exams

Return to Career Central