ECSA/LPT training coming up end of this month

<<

avwaard

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:02 am

ECSA/LPT training coming up end of this month

Hello everyone!

On the 31st om March I start my 5 day course on ECSA/LPT here in the Netherlands. I received my EC-Counsil Official Curriculum courseware (v3.05) and going through the 4 books I can see it is very comprehensive and detailed. Somebody here at the forum called it a "spicy meatball" and I think he is correct.
The first thing I noticed that there is no index at the end of all 4 books and I find that unfortunate, also some of the illistrations are unreadable and/or others can only be seen through a magnifying glass. The Courseware CD's are full of material that will be very helpfull with this course and of course need to be examined and studied intensively.
Only Volume 3 conatains practise questions at the end and I wonder why the other 3 books don't have questions. Good practise questions are seriously lacking for this exam and I wonder why. However, the new course material is very, very comprehensive and I know that my class coming 31st will have a good teacher (we had the same teacher for our CEH training last year August).

I will keep you informed after my course (followed with 412-79 exam).

To you all, a good day and keep all of us informed if you have anything new about 412-79 (practise questions would be great).

Regards,

Avwaard
<<

venom77

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:57 am

Re: ECSA/LPT training coming up end of this month

Great! Thanks for the information and good luck with the course and exam!
<<

avwaard

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:36 pm

Hello forum members.

As promised earlier this month I inform you about the ECSA/LPT course I just finished today.

Today was the day, I and 3 other students completed the 5 day classroom training of the new ECSA/LPT course. We finished with the ECCOUNCIL exam for 412-79 right after the last lesson. I have enjoyed this course as i we went deeper into techniques of hacking and intrusion detection. Our teacher was, as usual, passionate and inspiring, he really is a professional and possesses that unique ability to pass on knowledge to other people and mix it with a good portion of common sense and humour.

Then came the exam, boy was I nervous about that one. With no practice exam (I did not find any) I went over the material with the other students in the evening at our hotel trying to grasp the essence of it all. Learning the paramaters of the known tools like "Wireshark, Metasploid, Nmap, Snort and some other tools, focussing on whitepapers, studycases and instructional short movies.
The questions (50 in total) were pretty much in line with what we learned and should be read carefully. With about 30 minutes to spare I hit the "end exam" button feeling very confident about the result. On my E/CEH I scored 83%. Today I passed ECSA/LPT with a score of 100 percent, now that I did not expect as I had still some doubt about three questions of which I was not totally sure I had answered correctly.
100 percent, WOW! My efforts this week really paid off.
I have decided to register myself now as a "Licensed Penetration Tester", I will pay the $ 500 dollar subscription fee and apply for the so called "ECCOUNCIL Tiger Team". At my work here in the Netherlands (I work for the government) I am responsible for Internet and Email security and I find ECCOUNCIL's courses a very usefull addition to the other security trainings I have received over the last few years. Coming July I will do ECFI, again at the same place and with the same teacher.

Okay! the exam focusses mainly on exploits and how to use the existing tools and also on "rules of engagement" and social engineering. There are a number of questions about CSS, Buffer overflows and password cracking and of course, the LPT method of going about penetration tests. Also focus on social engineering and ISO standards and make sure you learn those filters and paramaters of the tools I mentioned earlier. It pretty much follows the ECEH course and it is helpfull to freshen up on your CEH material as well.

Now I'm going to enjoy my weekend, see a movie, visit a friend and read a good book.

All the best and keep in touch.

Best regards,

Ton van Waard
The Netherlands
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:03 pm

Congrats and many thanks for the write up. Sounds like it was a great week.

I'm curious about the $500 subscription fee. Do you find people asking if you're a member of ECC Tiger Team or do you think companies will find out about you and your abilities easier? What comes with it? I'm just trying to figure out the professional value of such a registration service?

I'd also like to hear from anyone out there that has already been part of the ECC Tiger Team and your feelings on the ROI of this subscription service.

Thanks in advance,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

LSOChris

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:55 pm

was it an additional 500 dollars to join the tiger team or was the 500 bucks for you LPT and you get to be part of the tiger team after that?
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:13 am

avwaard,

congrats! 100% is more than impressive 8)

Sounds like a great weeks training.
<<

venom77

Post Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:38 pm

avwaard,

Congrats on passing the ECSA exam! With a great score too!! Very well done! Thanks for the information and your feedback, much appreciated.

Chris:
The $500 fee is an additional fee, but is for the LPT application. Once you've passed CEH and ECSA, you can put together an application package with a resume, work history, letters of recommendation, criminal history check, and some other info (you can get this from the EC-Council site somewhere..).

As for the ECC Tiger Team, it's more like an "opt-out" thing (if I've understood correctly). When I received my LPT and the welcome kit that came with it, I didn't see anything about the ECC TT. In one of my conversations with Sanjay (ECC Pres.) he had said that all LPT's are registered with the ECC TT, unless they do not want to be, and then may be called upon for jobs.

I've not really heard anything about the TT other than that. From what I'm gathering, the ECC TT (and LPT's) will come into play much more as soon as ECC rolls out their 'Global Services' division (which is lead by Larry Detar, ECC master instructor and now ECC VP of something).

Don:
I've yet to see any real benefit to it. I earned my CEH/ECSA/LPT all fairly close to each other though, so it's hard to tell if the the higher certifications brought anything more than just the CEH would have. I do know that having them has definitely opened some new opportunities and connections that wouldn't have been available before, but can't really say whether the second two have really benefited more than just the CEH.
<<

$w33p3R

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:30 pm

I am scheduled to take the I-Class for ECSA/LPT Sep. 22-26.  The company I work for is forking over the money for the class.  After successfully completing it, it will mean a pretty good pay raise for me.

As far as the ROI on ECC TT, this is the first I have heard of it.  Will definitely do some investigation on it.  Don't know that it would be beneficial to those that are employed with a company, but for the self-employed/freelancer, it sounds like a pretty good program from what I have read about it here.

By the way, first post here...no longer EH NET virgin..yeppee :)

PS.  Gratz to the OP on ECSA.
MCP, CEH
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:44 am

$w33p3R wrote:I am scheduled to take the I-Class for ECSA/LPT Sep. 22-26.  The company I work for is forking over the money for the class.  After successfully completing it, it will mean a pretty good pay raise for me.

Nicely done $w33p3R, good luck and let us know how you get on.
<<

venom77

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:27 am

$w33p3R wrote:I am scheduled to take the I-Class for ECSA/LPT Sep. 22-26.

Great! Good luck! Who is the instructor? Will it be Larry?
<<

$w33p3R

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:13 am

BillV wrote:

I am not certain who the instructor will be yet, but am looking forward to it.  Just submitted payment and enrolled about two days ago.  When I find out more details, will let you know.
MCP, CEH
<<

$w33p3R

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:26 pm

BillV wrote:

Second day of class.  The instructor is Larry Detar.  Really enjoying the class so far.  Larry is a great instructor.  I will keep everyone updated on progress.
MCP, CEH
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:08 pm

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing about it.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:33 pm

Awesome! Larry is a great guy :) Let us know how it ends up for you.

BillV
<<

shednik

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:32 am

Any updates on how this class has been progressing??
CCNA, MCP, A+, N+

WIP: Masters of Infosec, CEH, & Mastering C
Next

Return to ECSA - EC-Council Certified Security Analyst