SecureDVD

<<

eth3real

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:44 pm

SecureDVD

Has anyone tried out SecureDVD? http://securedvd.org/

SecureDVD is a live DVD collection featuring the 10 Best Security Live CD Distros (Pen-Test, Forensics & Recovery) as per Darknet on one single DVD.

The live DVD collection features the following security based live distributions:

BackTrack 3 Beta - 14-12-2007
Operator v3.3.20
PHLAK v0.3
Auditor v200605-02 (no-ipw2100)
L.A.S. Linux - Local Area Security v0.5
Knoppix-STD v0.1
Helix v1.9a 07-13-2007
F.I.R.E. v0.3.5
nUbuntu vFlight 6
INSERT Rescue Security Toolkit v1.3.9b

You can't download it from their website, which I think is strange. They only have it available for $15 at the Linux Store:
http://www.thelinuxstore.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1037

My questions are:

How useful is it to have all of these distros on a single DVD?
How could you combine a few distros (for example, BackTrack2 and Helix) onto a DVD yourself?
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
<<

eth3real

Post Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:56 pm

Re: SecureDVD

I also noticed that some of these distros don't have websites anymore. :P
<<

LSOChris

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:53 pm

i'm sure you could change the bootloader to load whichever distro you wanted in a menu fashion.  I personally wouldnt find it useful.
<<

shawal

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:01 pm

Having all the tools handing in One dvd is very useful indeed, no need to locate, compile, test, or waste time trying to find the tool/exploit/document, for one thing if you are doing penetration then BT3 would be handy, however for Forensic analysis where you do not want to pollute the swap/disk helix would be more suitable, and so on. One thing i have against these dvds is that the software will be out of date, and vulnerable soon enough, and runing them or using them as superadmin/root in a networked environment calls for problems, i rather see images for USBs, and how to make them is not that difficult any more, there are bootloaders that can you help you achieve this, and there are distros that allow you to customize and add modules easily BT, Fedora, Knoppiex almost all live CDS allow customizations these days.
RHCE, GIAC GCIH.
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:01 pm

your pentesting problem can be solved by picking the most up to date one or even better building your own linux distro to use for pen testing, that way you have the tools YOU need not the tools some developer thought you would need.

from a trusted binary point of view a USB stick for forensics is good, not sure i would use a USB to boot from to do forensics though

and lastly, is it really that much more effort to pop one CD out and put another in? you still have to reboot (i'm guessing) to load a different distro.  again, having a bunch of "tools" on a DVD doesnt generally help someone develop a toolkit to do what they need to do instead you spend all your time sorting thru crap on that dvd.

just my opinion
<<

eth3real

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:45 pm

ChrisG wrote:and lastly, is it really that much more effort to pop one CD out and put another in? you still have to reboot (i'm guessing) to load a different distro.  again, having a bunch of "tools" on a DVD doesnt generally help someone develop a toolkit to do what they need to do instead you spend all your time sorting thru crap on that dvd.

I agree. I have a few CDs I keep in my pentesting kit (mostly because I haven't had the time to try to make my own distro, yet), but it seems like a good solution, rather than one DVD with everything.

Also, what if you are doing forensics on one computer and pentesting (or whatever) on another computer? Then you need two discs, anyways. :P
<<

shawal

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:32 am

DVDs are cheaper than USB, and  they can be guranteed to be read only, the need to have two discs at the same time would not stop you from having the same copy of DVD, or the usb in that matter, so may be an extra stach of Blank DVDs should be handy for the job just in case you need more than one at  a time. now would you trust the compilation of others in job you are getting paid for that is a different matter!
RHCE, GIAC GCIH.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:03 am

eth3real wrote:I agree. I have a few CDs I keep in my pentesting kit (mostly because I haven't had the time to try to make my own distro, yet), but it seems like a good solution, rather than one DVD with everything.

That's my preferred method. Also not every machine you come across can boot from DVD, even if you take this route might be handy to have a couple of CDs just in case

Return to Network Pen Testing