Macbook air

<<

iSmith

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:40 pm

Macbook air

hey dudez, have you heard of the new Macbook air? I've never seen anything like it that can rock and suck at the same time. 0.76 inches in thickness and at 3 pounds, it yet has a 13'' screen and full size keyboard. BUT... 1 usb port 1 headphone port 1mini-dvi port... and that's it HEY!!!!-no optical drive ethernet,printer port, and so many other MISSING things? This is radical.
Last edited by iSmith on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my eyes, your operating system is as solid as swiss cheese.
<<

jimbob

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:34 pm

Re: Hot!!!

It's so thin and great it will probably break after a few weeks use in the field. Then it will make a fantastic doorstop!

Jimbob
<<

eth3real

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:11 pm

You could get an EeePC. It has more USB ports, it comes with Linux, and it's much cheaper!
But, is also has a smaller sreen and keyboard, lower capacity hard drive, and only a 900MHz processor.

::)

I would like to get one of those Sony Vaio TZ series.
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
<<

iSmith

Post Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:07 pm

I knew it was to good to be true there are overheating problems!
read the full story here.
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/are-apples-macbook-air-overheating-267150
<<

iSmith

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:06 am

Re: Macbook air

<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:30 pm

iSmith wrote:hey dudez, have you heard of the new Macbook air? I've never seen anything like it that can rock and suck at the same time. 0.76 inches in thickness and at 3 pounds, it yet has a 13'' screen and full size keyboard. BUT... 1 usb port 1 headphone port 1mini-dvi port... and that's it HEY!!!!-no optical drive ethernet,printer port, and so many other MISSING things? This is radical.

you mean like one of those old school parallel ports?  my laptop doesnt even have a printer port, most priners are usb now anyway.  as for having only 1 usb port, heard of a usb hub? looks like you can buy an usb to ethernet adapter for connecting to a wireless network.
<<

iSmith

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:12 pm

tch tch. it's battery life falls short too. the macbook air came from a good idea but has poor execution.
<<

rance

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:09 pm

I just got a Macbook Air a couple of weeks ago.  I was expecting it to be rather underpowered (compared to my 17" Powerbook, G4 1.5, 1 gig Ram), and have been most pleasently surprised with it.

I've compliled all my *nix based security tools, which didn't take much time at all, and running XP under Parallels Desktop is more than snappy enough for what I need to use it for.  The two things I'd like out of it, a 100GB hard drive option (or better), and maybe a second USB port so I can have a network and serial connect at the same time (for working on cisco devices, for example).  However, a small, portable USB hub will take care of that.

I had my doubts at first, but, so far I'm extremely happy with it.
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH
<<

iSmith

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:49 pm

:o :o you got a whaat!! i really suprised that you would do this after reading my posts
<<

rance

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:04 pm

iSmith wrote: :o :o you got a whaat!! i really suprised that you would do this after reading my posts

Well... let's see.  Overheating? Not a problem, I don't use my laptop in bed (or at least, I don't cover up the vents).  I put the Air through it's paces when I got it, and the CPU never got over 144 degrees (F).

Specs?  Eh... I've got an 8-core Mac Pro to do the heavy lifting for me.

Throwing it out with the paper?  Uhh.  I'd like to think I'm smarter than that.

Battery life?  Is everyone on the planet ever happy with battery life on anything that's ever been made, ever?

And later this month, as I'm traversing airports and cruising around Tokyo with the Air, I'm sure I'll be just snap-happy with it as opposed to lugging around my 17" 7 pound Powerbook.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:14 am

Rance,

sounds like a nice piece of kit if you use it for the right jobs. The aspect of the Air that has worried me so far is the durability factor. Although I'm yet to get my hands on one to see for myself.

From your experience so far is it likely to survive 'traversing airports'?
<<

rance

Post Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:26 pm

RoleReversal wrote:Rance,

sounds like a nice piece of kit if you use it for the right jobs. The aspect of the Air that has worried me so far is the durability factor. Although I'm yet to get my hands on one to see for myself.

From your experience so far is it likely to survive 'traversing airports'?

I totally think so.  I'd be more worried with a Macbook (plastic enclosure) as opposed to the aluminum enclosure of the Air.  Despite it's small footprint and light-weightedness, I don't notice any flimsyness in the device at all.  I think, overall, it should hold up quite well.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:26 am

Cheers Rance,

think I've just found something else to add to my Christmas list :D
<<

iSmith

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:25 am

look here, i'm getting a dell xps m1530 laptop this week... speak up if your puny little macbook air can beat that.
<<

rance

Post Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:52 pm

iSmith wrote:look here, i'm getting a dell xps m1530 laptop this week... speak up if your puny little macbook air can beat that.

I didn't know it was a competition.  In a manner of speaking, you're comparing apples to oranges.  The Air is an ultra-portable, where the XPS is, well, not.  My main criteria for a laptop at this point is compact and lightweight, with sufficient performance to do work related tasks; which the Air definitely meets.

On top of that, the XPS comes with Windows.  Yuck! :)
Next

Return to Other