An Ethical Hacker must have these skills...

<<

TruckputerX

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: An Ethical Hacker must have these skills...

Sup yaa,

TruckputerX in the house. Here to make new friends and learn as much as I can to increase my knowledge of Computer Security.
TruckputerX Profile - CCNA, MCP
TruckputerX Progress Bar [|||||||||-] 90%  Complete [It's never 100% done]
<<

blackazarro

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:23 pm

Welcome aboard buddy, you'll definitely going to learn a thing or two on this site.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

TruckputerX

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:49 pm

Thanks for the welcome. Going to start reading the books recommended and configure a vmware lan with different OS's.
TruckputerX Profile - CCNA, MCP
TruckputerX Progress Bar [|||||||||-] 90%  Complete [It's never 100% done]
<<

sathishKumar

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:29 pm

Re: An Ethical Hacker must have these skills...-

Hi Champions,

Please help,

This is Sathish Kumar, I work as ISMS Guys offlate i am interested to learn and enhance my skills onto the field of Ethical Hacking.

My BackGround is that i worked as Windows Administartor for almost 8 years and 4 years into the ISMS, I have very good exposure of Using VA tools like Nessus,ISS and Foundstone tools, however i want to learn and enhance my skills in exploiting the reported vulnerabilities.however i have already dowloaded Metasploit 3, but i don't have a hacking exposure, Can anyone of u please do let me know is there is any step by step guide how to use the Metasploit  framework to exploit the known Vulnerabilities that exist or any other tools which can used for these activities.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Sathish Kumar.S
<<

jason

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:37 pm

<<

Xen

Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:21 am

You can start by getting a basic understanding of metasploit by reading the user guide that comes along with it.
www.metasploit.com/documents/users_guide.pdf

After this you can proceed to other books.
http://books.google.com/books?q=metasploit

I'm currently reading Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing, Exploit Development, and Vulnerability research and am happy with it.
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:28 am

In addition to Xen-'s reply, if you have the finances and time, look into the OSCP training, at Offensive Security's site.  muts has done an excellent job of putting together information about how to work with buffer overflows, exploit compilation, etc.  While they don't explain EVERY exploit (I don't think anyone has that much free time on their hands, it does give good information to work from, in utilizing metasploiit framework, and its toolsets.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

_Louis_2_Rich_

Post Mon May 04, 2009 9:55 pm

Good Evening All~

Im new to the site and new to the IT security world... IT world in general so I'm really just here to get a grasp on things. As an ex-west pointer (left prior to graduation) I've been struggling over the past 4 1/2 years on what to really do with my life and it seems that I have finally found some insight. I started dabbling with the idea of "something IT related" about a year and a half ago.
  I decided that if im going to do something, I'm going to do something that interests me and I'm going to do it right. Granted I've been playing around with computers my whole life (Back to the mechwarrior days and 14.4k modems were the newest thing) but I never really gained a deeper level understanding. With that being said... Last week I kicked Microsoft to the curb, Installed Ubuntu as my sole OS and then started reading about this ethical hacking and IT security. I AM HOOKED. Been an athlete my whole life and these days I can do nothing but think about getting back to my computer to learn more. I'd just like to say thanks ahead of time to all of you guys (maybe a gal or two) who have contributed already and who will help me along on my journey.

L2R
<<

Dtag

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:57 pm

This my fist post on this site so yes I'm new, and yes I'm probably gonna be asking something you guys are tired of reading and I'm sorry in advance.

I'm not new to computers I've had them sense I was a kid, I'm 25 now, but for most of my life I didn't care about anything, anyone, or really advancing in life.  That was till I met my wife, but long story short my heads screwed on straight now and I know what I want.  I desperately want to learn about computers at this time I do not have the money to pay for school or anything like that but when I do I plan to go for networking security.

Over all though I wanna learn everything I can bout computers, which yes includes hacking, have no interest in being a "black hat hacker" as I've head them called.  I just wanna be able to mess around with my friends who are out of state learning computers and are hackers them selves.  So now as I go around my ass to get to my elbow but I was wandering if you guys had ideas on books, sites or even classes I could get or take to get my foot in the door and start learning on my own?
<<

Dengar13

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:40 pm

Greetings Dtag.  You are a man after my own heart....welcome to this forum by the way.  I did the military route; and that as well as my wife did the trick to get my head on straight.  What knowledge do you have as of now?  That is a good barometer as to where and point you to.  What is your educational background.  How much experience/knowledge do you have in IT, and what does it consist of?  Your answers will help us help you.

Again, welcome to this forum.
Last edited by Dengar13 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

Dtag

Post Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:36 pm

Experience/knowledge in the IT feild none at all.  As far as experience/knowledge with computers I know enough to get me into trouble my wife would say and I'm thinking of going navy and letting them pay for my schooling but I want to have atleast a basic understanding before I do. 
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:25 am

Welcome to the forums.

If money is too short then use the free resources available - there are tons of them. Especially if you are very new to everything and need the basics you should be able to find some great websites, whitepapers and even free books.

Think about which topics interest you most and search for those through google. Also browsing through this forum may answer a few more questions you might have.
<<

Dengar13

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:41 am

In addition to what awesec has advised, I also suggest going to a library and getting some A+ and Network+ books from your local library.  This will give you a foundation in IT, and from there you can decide whether you want to learn programming, networking, server administration, etc.  Security should be considered after you get a solid understanding of the former as it is not an entry-level thing to get into.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

Dtag

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:32 am

Yeah I had a feeling secrity wasn't entry level but I'm deffently hitting the library before the wifes derby practise today. Secrity is more of something I want in the long run don't want it right off cause I do wannna learn programming as well. Thanks for the help guys and I think I may of found this to be one of my new fave sites. :)
<<

trighger

Post Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:00 am

I would recommend reading as much as possible.  When I was first getting into security I found a lot of material available on the web, but the best was getting a good grounding in TCP/IP through books like the CCNA book, then building up through Hacking Exposed and then on to Web App hacking books.  Setting up a small lab at home was my next step.  Of course now there are also a lot of good videos that illustrate pen test techniques.
PreviousNext

Return to Network Pen Testing