InfoWorld's HELP SAVE XP Petition

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:56 am

InfoWorld's HELP SAVE XP Petition

I think this is a very good idea. If anyone has had to manage a MS shop, the lack of availability of certain tools like the adminpak (RSAT for Vista SP1) has also slowed the adpotion of even the most fervent MS supporters. So even if you think Vista is all that and a bag of chips, it still is not going completely adopted anytime soon. And even if the tools were made available today, less than 6 months is nowhere near enough time to make the full transition.

SP1 was a great step as I find it to make the systems much more stable and performance is noticeably better. but the same sentiments remain. June 30 is way too soon.

Microsoft plans to end most sales of Windows XP on June 30, despite a deep reluctance by many business and individuals about moving to Vista. InfoWorld believes such an expensive, time-consuming shift with problematic benefits should not be forced on Windows users, so we have decided to rally XP users to demand that XP be kept available.

Please complete this petition. With your support, we can convince Microsoft to spare XP’s fate of being discontinued on June 30, 2008.

We will not send your e-mail address to Microsoft; we require it to verify that you are a real person and have not previously signed this petition.

http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/

Add your thoughts to this thread and support to this effort,

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

eth3real

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:10 pm

Re: InfoWorld's HELP SAVE XP Petition

I agree that it is too soon to phase out Windows XP.

After all, they still supported Windows 2000 until June of 2005, and XP came out at the end of 2001.

Signed.  :)
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
<<

Negrita

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:46 pm

It is my personal opinion that Linux should be a viable option for users and sytem administrators that don't want to migrate to Vista for what ever reason they might have. Linux has become very user friendly lately (particularly Ubuntu), and it can be configured to be very Windows like to help the transition of even die-hard Windows users.

It appears that Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot with Vista, yet many users will eventually upgrade to it because they are not very aware of the alternatives.

The main problem with Linux being open source is that there is no central money backed marketing of the OS as an alternative. The open source community is relying on word of mouth to spread Linux and the only active marketing is for support contracts of some of the distros such as Ubuntu, Red Hat and Open SUSE.

::)  - some food for thought for Canonical, Red Hat and Novell.
Last edited by Negrita on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

Mr. Roboto

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:56 pm

My company has already made plans to migrate to Vista because of this.  Some of our PCs can have their hardware upgraded to meet the requirements, but dozens of laptops will have to be written off the books.

Perhaps it's not too late?  Can XP be saved?
A+, Security+, HDI Support Center Analyst, MCTS: Vista
<<

Dengar13

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:44 pm

Luckily for me, my company will not migrate to Vista for a while.  I hope XP sticks around for a while.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

Kev

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:10 pm

Negrita wrote:It is my personal opinion that Linux should be a viable option for users and sytem administrators

I cant agree more. If vista was so great Microsoft would not have to force this switch. The move to XP from 98 was significant and I never remember having the feeling of being coerced to make the change. It felt like a more positive nudging back then. Now it feels like "ok we are pulling the plug on XP and if you are concerned about security you are screwed if you dont make the switch."
Last edited by Kev on Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

morpheus063

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:11 am

For a common end-user / home user, it does not make much difference, whether he is using a XP or Vista. Upgrading to Vista is going to be take some time for novice people to get comfortable with the new features. Lets support the "Save Windows XP" move.
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

iSmith

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:41 am

This is terrible ???, i mean, xp is microsoft's most stable os at the minute. They don't even have a sp2 for vista yet and they want us to leave the comfort and safety of good ol' xp. Viva la XP revolution!
In my eyes, your operating system is as solid as swiss cheese.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:46 am

I will admit that at first I was looking forward to Vista. After waiting, I'm gald that I didn't switch. As far as Negrita was saying about switching to Linux, I don't see that as the most viable option. There is the comfort factor to take into account. Most users today, grew up on Windows and that is what they are comfortable with. On top of that, OpenOffice, just is not the same office suite that these same users are most use too. From a business stand point, does the learning curve of switching OS and productivity suite make sense?
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

iSmith

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:26 am

Reasons not to kill XP.
Vista needs plenty ram.
Vista needs a fast processor.
Vista renders everything in 3d, you'll most likely need a good graphics card.
Therefore, we conclude that;
Vista will kill your wallet,
Vista will kill your hardware,
Vista will kill your trust in windows
(at least for now.)
<<

venom77

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:25 am

I've been running Vista on my laptop for work for about 2 months now and really haven't had too many complaints, until now. Is the user access control annoying? Yeah, but it's just like pushing 'allow' for an application firewall.

Some of the issues I'm having now are to do with speed and network connectivity. The entire system seems to run slow. I sit at the little blue circle 'welcome' screen for apx. 5 minutes before it loads to my desktop. When it does finally get there, I have to wait another 3 minutes for whatever else to start up (and I don't really have any extra programs starting). As for the network issues, it's probably because it requires more configuration, but I've had problems getting access to other networks. It seems there's a long delay in plugging into a new network, and then it has to figure out a profile. Not quite as easy as plug-in and access. And aside from that, there are still some programs/tools that I haven't gotten to work correctly on Vista.

Needless to say, I'll most likely be migrating back to XP this weekend, or just scrapping Windows all together and rolling with Ubuntu.
<<

iSmith

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:44 pm

You make good choices BillV.
<<

dannioni

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:59 am

*Fanaticism warning*

As a Linux fan I actually like that Microsoft are pushing their users, because as negrita said they're shooting themselves in the foot. So hopefully more XP users will consider Linux as alternative, and if not this bad image will hopefully stick until it's time to change again and then Linux will be the king!
<<

iSmith

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:54 am

If indeed they do phase out xp, everybody keep their xp installation cd's. In any case, if you don't want to go vista, SP3 is an asset. i'm downloading it now.

Return to Other