CEHv6 at Hacker Halted USA 2008

<<

eth3real

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:42 pm

CEHv6 at Hacker Halted USA 2008

Is anyone planning on going to Hacker Halted USA 2008 (Myrtle Beach, SC) to attend the CEHv6?

I would love to go, but it costs too much for me (US$2,299 if you register by April 1st :o ).
Maybe in a few years I will be able to do something like that.
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
<<

venom77

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:48 pm

Re: CEHv6 at Hacker Halted USA 2008

I attended the Techno Security conference (which is running simultaneously with HH this year) last year. I enjoyed it and found it interesting for the most part. I'm still considering going this year but it's somewhat close to my wifes due date, so I haven't figured that out yet.

I believe EC-Council is offering 50% discounts to certified members to attend the conference though, check their portal for the info (or run a search on these forums, I may have posted it here).

I'm hoping that they'll give certified members discounted prices on courseware... I'd like to see what these '28 additional modules' are in v6 and how the quality of content is.
<<

venom77

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:50 pm

The post I made is here, but if you're interested, you better hurry... today is the final day for the discount.
<<

eth3real

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:36 pm

I wonder if they will do something like that next year.
I will be all over it if they have a discount next year.  ;D
<<

Marshel007

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:34 am

so, whats new In CEH v6 I was planing on taking CEH v5,

It looks like I'm not gonna be able to take it until it gets to V10 ...lolz

Marshel.
<<

eth3real

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:06 am

They're supposed to be introducing 28 new modules, but I'm not sure what they are.

Hacker Halted USA 2008 is where they will be presenting it for the first time, so you still have some time to get your CEH v5.
<<

venom77

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:52 pm

I would imagine that the course modules will be posted on the EC-Council website soon. I believe they released the new ECSA/LPT stuff prior to the event last year, but it didn't go into any detail, just listed the module heading.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:23 pm

Here's a little inside info I received from someone at EC-Council:

The C|EH (Version 6) covers new modules such as Google Hacking, Bluetooth Hacking, VoiP Hacking, Spying Technologies, Spamming, Email Accounts Hacking, amongst others. With a total of 28 new and never seen before modules, covering the latest concepts, featuring more real life cases, and showcasing the latest hacking and security tools, the C|EH (Version 6) will be the most advanced course ever.

I also have an interview with Chuck Swanson, the Master Instructor for CEH Version 6, hopefully this coming week for publication soon. If you have any specific questions you'd like for me to ask him, please let me know.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:06 am

Don,

as someone still looking to take their first security related course the obvious question I'd like asked would be 'why C|EH?'.

For a more specific question I would like to know the reasoning behind requiring such a complete knowledge of specific tools commandline switches that seems to be part of the C|EH examination process. Especially when most requirements can be formulated with a knowledge of what you a trying to achieve and a few minutes with the man pages (RTFM?) in real world situations.

Just my 2cents/pence/<insert currency here>
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:05 pm

That's probably a question only you can answer. Everyone's career path can be different. I can offer the following questions:

1. Even though you could use a calculator, were we not required to know our multiplication tables?

2. Was every exam you ever took open book or were you required to memorize things that you could easily have looked up?

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:36 am

RoleReversal wrote:Don,

as someone still looking to take their first security related course the obvious question I'd like asked would be 'why C|EH?'.

For a more specific question I would like to know the reasoning behind requiring such a complete knowledge of specific tools commandline switches that seems to be part of the C|EH examination process. Especially when most requirements can be formulated with a knowledge of what you a trying to achieve and a few minutes with the man pages (RTFM?) in real world situations.

Just my 2cents/pence/<insert currency here>

there are some things you need to just "KNOW" basic nmap switches come to mind for that realm.  i can tell you that on an assessment i dont have time for people to constantly be reading man pages, they need to know the basics.  If you need to look something up because we rarely come across it is one thing, all the time is another. CEH is basic stuff, so memorizing a few basic things is not asking too much i dont think.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:26 am

Don/Chris,

thanks for the replies. As I said I'm yet to sit any security related cert, but I had been put off of the C|EH by a number of people/posts/forums complaining about this requirement with the C|EH. If, as you say, most of this relates to basic, every day tool usage I'll worry less about this aspect of the cert and give it some extra consideration.

Thanks again.
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:36 am

i took it awhile ago but i dont remember any command line switches that i felt like "why in the hell would i need to know that" some of the new passers of the test may bust that up though. hopefully they will reply.

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker