CISSP followed by GSEC certification

<<

duane1

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:29 am

CISSP followed by GSEC certification

have the opportunity to take some SANS training through work this summer.

The GSEC course seems to map quite closely in some regards to the CISSP. (which I passed last year)

Does anyone have experience with both, (or just the GSEC), who could offer an opinion if I could simply self study for the GSEC exam (and therefore save my training budget for another course instead)

Thanks
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:09 pm

Re: CISSP followed by GSEC certification

GSEC is GIAC Security Essentials Certification. I would say that if you have your CISSP, then this is probably not going to add anything to your resume. Plus, if you never planned on taking the actual course but just studying for the associated cert, I would utilize that time by preparing for the SANS course you do decide to eventually spend your money on.

As for which course to take, they have a bunch of them. So it depends where you want your career to go. What is catching your eye?

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

geekyone

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:07 pm

I agree with Don if you already have your CISSP it is probably not worth your training budget to take GSEC training/cert.  If I were you I would flip through the SANS training courses and find something either you are interested in or something your company would really need.  SANS has some great courses!
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

lampard

Post Sat May 31, 2008 12:44 pm

I have my CISSP and had thought about acquiring GSEC just as you have.  After looking into it though I would agree with the other posters in that it won't really add much value.  I'm leaning towards a combination of the GIAC certifications in the advanced track.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jonathan Lampard, CISSP (#120621)

Return to General Certification