Introducing the GPEN Board

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Introducing the GPEN Board

As we do with most ethical hacking certifications, we are dedicating an entire Forum Board to GPEN. Below is a link to the GPEN page here on EH-Net including my comments at this point in time, some more info from the SANS web site and a quote from Ed Skoudis.

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/180/3/

Here's a taste:

Editors' Quick Thoughts

GPEN is a brand new certification that will be linked to Network Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking, a course developed by Ed Skoudis of Intelguardians. His intention is to "personally do everything I can to make you the best penetration tester." It is still in development and will have a few trial runs before making its major debut at the SANS WhatWorks in Penetration Testing & Ethical Hacking Summit in Las Vegas from May 31 - June 9, 2008. This is not replacing GCIH where you get a larger view of the ethical hacking process and more focus on how to handle this "incident" to keep your enterprise running. Also notice that the title specifically states "Network" Pen Testing and Ethical Hacking and doesn't delve as deeply into web application and wireless security as some of SANS other offerings, but those topics will be covered. Said to contain previously unpublished methods used by Ed and numerous professional pen testers, this class is sure to please anyone neck deep in the technology and process of ethical hacking.

Author Statement

Successful penetration testers don't just throw a bunch of hacks against an organization and regurgitate the output of their tools. Instead, they need to understand how these tools work in-depth, and conduct their test in a careful, professional manner. This course explains the inner workings of numerous tools and their use in effective network penetration testing and ethical hacking projects. When teaching the class, I particularly enjoy the numerous hands-on exercises culminated with a final pen-testing extravaganza lab.

- Ed Skoudis

Off we go...

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Introducing the GPEN Board

This looks like it will be a great course. Is this what they've changed the name to from what they were originally calling the 'GCEH'? Any particular reason they strayed away from that? Perhaps to avoid confusion?
<<

vijay2

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:24 am

I will be attending the first run of the course @ Tysons', I will post my comments after that. I am looking forward to another class with Ed. :)
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

venom77

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:16 am

vijay2 wrote:I will be attending the first run of the course @ Tysons', I will post my comments after that. I am looking forward to another class with Ed. :)

Excellent! Thanks a lot, I look forward to your feedback.
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:08 pm

cool,
let us know how it goes
<<

Dengar13

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:56 pm

Wish I was going...not even that far from me either.    >:(

I also await your feedback.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:26 pm

If you want more info directly from SANS/GIAC:

http://www.sans.org/info/25034

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:44 pm

This sounds like a really great course. After the webinar with Ed Skoudis the other day on the Windows command-line stuff, I called up SANS to get more information about this course (and some others).

They told me about this really cool offering called 'FlexPass.' If you (or a group) are looking to purchase multiple On Demand courses, you can receive a pretty significant discount.

http://www.sans.org/ondemand/flexpass.php
<<

shawal

Post Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:01 pm

Billv
The validitiy of the pass is one year, it takes time to clear off one sans course, I wish if they can extend this to at least two years.

I am interested on this course and how it compares with the heros.net/offensive security courses. would it be uptodate with the latest trends? how much cool is the handson? and how practical is it in real life?

I will wait for vijay2 feedback, hope you enjoy it any way, take a powerful laptop, and stay away from windows vista if you are going to use vmware intensively
RHCE, GIAC GCIH.
<<

davekoob

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:07 am

How do you guys think that this course compares with the C|EH/ LPT courseware from the EC-Council?
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:48 am

if you know anyone with access to the GIAC list that very question was asked.  i didnt read the posts because i dont care, SANS material is way better than EC-Council but maybe someone else that has access will summarize for you.
<<

davekoob

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:29 am

So you would recommend the GPEN cert over the EC-Council stuff?
<<

eth3real

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:39 am

You should try to talk to other ethical hackers/IT people in your community. Find out which cert is more highly regarded in your local area, and go for that one.
Put that in your pipe and grep it!
<<

vijay2

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:44 am

For the benefit for all the readers, here is what Ed Skoudis had to say, quote ..

To help you understand how it differentiates from CEH, I put together this list of bullet points:

This SANS course differs from other penetration testing and ethical hacking courses in several important ways:
• We get deep into the tools arsenal, with numerous hands-on exercises that show subtle, less-well-known, and undocumented features that are incredibly useful for professional penetration testers and ethical hackers.
• The course discusses how the tools inter-relate with each other in an overall testing process. Rather than just throwing up a bunch of tools and playing with them, we analyze how to leverage information from one tool to get the most bang out of the next tool.
• We focus on the workflow of professional penetration testers and ethical hackers, proceeding step-by-step discussing the most effective means for conducting projects.
• The sessions address common pitfalls that arise in penetration tests and ethical hacking projects, providing real-world strategies and tactics for avoiding these problems to maximize the quality of test results.
• We cover several timesaving tactics based on years of in-the-trenches experience from real penetration testers and ethical hackers, actions that might take hours or days unless you know the little secrets we'll cover that will let you surmount a problem in minutes.
• The course stresses the mind-set of successful penetration testers and ethical hackers, which involves balancing the often contravening forces of creative "outside-the-box" thinking, methodical trouble-shooting, carefully weighing risks, following a time-tested process, painstakingly documenting results, and creating a high quality final report that achieves management and technical buy-in.
• We also analyze how penetration testing and ethical hacking should fit into a comprehensive enterprise information security program.

Hope this helps. I post more once i come back from the course.
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

venom77

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:18 am

davekoob wrote:So you would recommend the GPEN cert over the EC-Council stuff?

What's your experience with hacking? Whether it's none, just for fun and learning, experienced, etc. I know you posted an intro post somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.
Next

Return to GPEN - GIAC Certified Penetration Tester