attending CEH EXam

<<

manju_salian

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:24 am

attending CEH EXam

Is it such rule or process after completing the training program,Cert exam should be give within certain period say 50 days. My instructor intimated me such.

Is my instructor is right .please guide.
<<

venom77

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:36 am

Re: attending CEH EXam

No, there is no such rule. You may take the exam at the end of your training program (or even before it ends). You will need a voucher # from EC-Council (which should be provided to you during training) to register for the exam.

If he was talking about the certificate, your instructor is correct. It takes 6-8 weeks to receive your certificate. You will know your results (and receive a printed copy of your score) immediately after finishing the exam.
<<

manju_salian

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:11 pm

what is the best preferable things need to be done before the exams.
I had gone through the books provide by EC Council but not practiced with tools. will that will do for exam?
<<

venom77

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Run a search on these forums and you'll find all sorts of posts and advice for taking the CEH exam and what/how to study. Just reading the books will not do, you will most definitely have to know and use many of the tools presented in the material.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:39 pm

Hey Hack_80,

It is possible that the course you are taking is not from an EC-Council Authorized Training Center (ATC). Then it would be looked at just like you were doing a self-study option, so you would have to submit an eligibility application to obtain authorization from EC-Council to sit for the exam.

Quote from EC-Council CEH FAQ:

11. Can I purse self-study and attempt the exam instead of attending formal training?

The answer is yes. You must show 2 years of work experience in security related field. You must also submit CEH exam eligibility application and obtain authorization from EC-Council before you can attempt the exam. Please visit http://www.eccouncil.org/takeexam.htm for more details.

The other possibility is that they are an ATC but not a testing center. So you would have to show EC-Council your certificate of completion and then go through the application process to be eligible to take the exam. Here are some more FAQs from EC-Council on the exam process:

http://www.eccouncil.org/takeexam.htm

What we do at ChicagoCon via Training Camp, our premier course provider, is that we take care of all of that for you. So on Friday after the week long boot camp, you take the exam on site.

Hope this helps and welcome to EH-Net,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Data_Raid

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Here's a great link provided by a EHN member and how he studied for the CEH exam: http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... 1/#msg4925

It will definitely help to familiarize yourself with the tools you have learnt about on the course. The CEH exam will ask about details that mostly experience will help with. I'd also recommend the following books for additional studies for the CEH exam:

Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Prep 2 (Exam Prep 2 (Que Publishing)
By Michael Gregg (Author) 
# ISBN-10: 0789735318
# ISBN-13: 978-0789735317

Counterhack Reloaded - Ed Skoudis (great book, well written and topics are explained in an easy to understand manner)
# ISBN-10: 0131481045
# ISBN-13: 978-0131481046

Practical hacking and countermeasures - by Spivey D. (another easy to follow book with plenty screenshots of servers configured with VMWARE, basically a step by step hacking guide)
# ISBN-10: 0849370574
# ISBN-13: 978-0849370571

HTH and good luck with the exam
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:58 pm

I just passed the CEH exam. I did the course by itself and didn't pass the first time. I learned some from that adn went at the studying again. The second time, I used the Exam Prep book by Gregg. I really liked it as well as the practice tests included with it. Don't underestimate the exam or you will wish that you had studied more. Oh -- familiarity with the tools will help.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

Dengar13

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:59 am

Congrats!  Where is the C|EH on the sig???  :P
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

VashTS

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:00 am

I am thinking about going for the CEH after I complete my CCNA cert. I plan to do it via self study. I was just wondering about the required 2 years experience. What counts as experience?

I currently hold the SSCP, but haven't found it much use and don't plan to renew it.
2K3 MCSE, A+, Security+, SSCP, CCNA, CCNA Security
Next on the list:
No idea..
<<

venom77

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:19 am

Below is the info from the EC-Council site. You'll need to fill out the application from here and send it to EC-Council.

If you have opted for self-study and not attended training, you must have at least two years of information security related experience.

Please download and complete the CEH Exam (EC0-350) Application Form and fax it to EC-Council at +1-505-212-0667 for verification. Upon approval, EC-Council will send you an eligibility voucher number which you can use to register and schedule the test at any Authorized Prometric Testing Center globally. Please note that Prometric Registration will not entertain any requests without this voucher number.
<<

Mr. Roboto

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:54 am

VashTS wrote: I currently hold the SSCP, but haven't found it much use and don't plan to renew it.

I know quite a few CISSPs but do not know anyone with the SSCP.  Any thoughts on why it hasn't helped you?  Do you ever plan on pursuing the CISSP?

I'm interested in your response because I've contemplated taking the SSCP.
A+, Security+, HDI Support Center Analyst, MCTS: Vista
<<

VashTS

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:56 pm

I don't know if it's just my area or maybe it's just with the people I've dealt with, but I've put it on my resumes and during most interviews I have people ask me what it is. That tells me that it's meaningless to have it if no one knows what it is.  :(

After browsing this forum and the rest of the site some more today I was actually thinking about looking into the CISSP again. I think when I was looking at it before I didn't meet the requirements for the CISSP, but I did for the SSCP so I went with the SSCP instead.

Right now, I am really trying to figure out how to make the jump to a more security related job. I have always had a huge interest in the security field and I'm having a hard time coming up with a plan to move more into that field. Maybe the CISSP would help me there too.
Next on the list:
No idea..
<<

Mr. Roboto

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:13 pm

I'm sure the CISSP would be a great place to start a new career in the security field.

Try reading the Luck, Career Goals and a CISSP Boot Camp article by Don.  It is very informative and takes a lot of the guess work out of what to study and when to know you're prepared.

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/176/24/
A+, Security+, HDI Support Center Analyst, MCTS: Vista
<<

VashTS

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:01 pm

Haha, that's funny. That's the article I read this morning that made me start think about taking that exam again.  ;D
Next on the list:
No idea..
<<

Dengar13

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:01 pm

VashTS wrote:I don't know if it's just my area or maybe it's just with the people I've dealt with, but I've put it on my resumes and during most interviews I have people ask me what it is. That tells me that it's meaningless to have it if no one knows what it is.  :(

I also get asked what a C|EH was during an interview.  They typically laugh when I tell them and then move on. 
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
Next

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker