Backtrack installation problem !

<<

snouto

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:18 am

Backtrack installation problem !

Hello everybody in this forum .

i want to install my backtrack distro on the virtual machine hard drive
i have downloaded the how tos pdf file for installation of backtrack from
offensive security web site and i followed the instructions step by step successfully but once i reboot , the virtual machine gives me a black page with only a small pointer at the left top corner and the screen stuck on that , i don't really know from where is the error ??? , knowing that i repeated the procedure mainly of times carefully but i still get the same thing ??? what is the problem then ......

Please help
<<

jimbob

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:35 am

Re: Backtrack installation problem !

Hi,
How far do you get through the boot process? With VMware you should see the power on self test (POST) screen followed by the Linux bootloader. Can you describe each different screen you see, do you see the bootloader menu for example.

Regards,
Jimbob
<<

morpheus063

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:05 am

Hey snouto,

Why don't you dowload the VMware Image for BT3 and try? Get it from:

http://extras.offensive-security.com/bt3b101vm.rar

Regards,
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

venom77

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:24 am

Better yet, try the EH-Net version of BT2 that's already in VM format: http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/160/8/
<<

KrisTeason

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:09 am

I've been using this site's BT2 for awhile now & I honestly can't complain. Nice work on it. Also,  Manu Zacharia - aka - The Morpheus, thanks for providing the link to that VM, The Beta version of it has been unstable for me for awhile now, and I've been looking for a VMWare Image of it for sometime.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

snouto

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:24 am

hello guys , it is not backtrack distro alone but it is damn vulnerable linux version from www.damnvulnerablelinux.org&nbsp; it is based on backtrack exactly but with some enhancements like documentations and the like .

i see the power on screen with white progress bar of virtual machine itself , the screen which tells me to push f2 for configuration or f10 for network configuration after that screen i see only a pointer at the top left corner and nothing happen , no linux bootloader or anything else
<<

Kev

Post Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:51 am

Yes, I have noticed that adaption of Backtrack is a little buggy. You probably have a conflict with your chipset and unless you know how to recompile the kernel and deal with any driver problems that a new kernel might create with hacked drivers that certain tools require, you are stuck. Might as well create your own attack distro. Why not just use Backtrack 3 vmware appliance that Manu linked?
http://extras.offensive-security.com/bt3b101vm.rar

If you are trying to install a live cd and not a vmware appliance into vmware and still having problems, try burning the cd on the lowest speed possible. I have had CDs refuse to boot and then re-burned tham at 4x and then they worked just fine. Remember the slower you burn the CD the darker the little "dots" the burner makes, making it read more reliable on some picky drives.

Run the above linked Backtrack 3 appliance  on workstation 6 and you should have no problem.  Remember the older the kernel the more chance you will run into chipsets that have a conflict.  For instance,  say you have 3 laptops, you might find that only 1 will work with Backtrack 2  or DamnVulnerableLinux.
Last edited by Kev on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Network Pen Testing