Is the EC-Council Self Study Kit (CEHv5) worth my while?

<<

Mr. Roboto

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:59 am

Is the EC-Council Self Study Kit (CEHv5) worth my while?

Has anyone purchased the EC-Council self study kit for (CEHv5)?  I am contemplating buying it for $440. 
A+, Security+, HDI Support Center Analyst, MCTS: Vista
<<

venom77

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:06 pm

Re: Is the EC-Council Self Study Kit (CEHv5) worth my while?

I have the v5 courseware. What are you planning to do? Just looking for reference material? Studying for the exam?
<<

Mr. Roboto

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:18 pm

My goal is to prepare for and take the CEH exam by the end of April.  My background is in PC support, but I understand basic computer/network security concepts.  I was able to pass the CompTIA Security+ fairly easily.

I am pretty motivated, and prefer the self study method than the fast paced Boot Camp style courses. I am interested to know how well the (CEHv5) Self Study kit will prepare me for the exam. 

I would hate to spend over $400 and not get my money's worth.
<<

venom77

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:57 pm

Well if you're looking specifically to pass the exam, and that's your only objective, I would suggest purchasing the Official CEH Review Guide and the CEH Exam Prep books. Both are great study books for the exam. The official review guide is pretty much created directly from the courseware, but cuts out anything not specifically needed for the exam. The Exam Prep book goes a little further into detail (although targeted at v4, still a great v5 resource), and has some added 'hands-on' tips.
<<

rance

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:59 pm

I'd recommend a 3rd party book for much cheaper, unfortunately, v5 is relatively new, and as far as I know, none of the other publishers (like Exam Prep) are publishing v5 books yet.  I did pass the v5 exam by studying out of the v3 Exam Prep guide, but things that were not covered in the book, i was able to make up for with experience.
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH
<<

venom77

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:01 pm

This book was also recently published, but I've not had any experience with it. It seems to be much larger than both the official review guide and the exam prep book. CEH Prep Guide
<<

venom77

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:04 pm

rance wrote:I'd recommend a 3rd party book for much cheaper, unfortunately, v5 is relatively new, and as far as I know, none of the other publishers (like Exam Prep) are publishing v5 books yet.  I did pass the v5 exam by studying out of the v3 Exam Prep guide, but things that were not covered in the book, i was able to make up for with experience.

The official review guide wasn't released too long after v5 came out. However, v6 is about to be released in a couple of months and is supposed to have even more modules than v5. With any luck, the quality of the material will get better rather than adding a bunch of crap to fill pages.
<<

Mr. Roboto

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Thanks for the comments.  I've got a copy of the CEH Exam Prep book from 2006.  I will start from there.

Thanks again
<<

Mr. Roboto

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:53 pm

I went over most of the above mentioned books.  While all of them were pretty good, I wanted something with a little more...

So I buckled down and purchased the CEHv5 Self Study Kit from the EC-Council.  For someone new to the EH world, this kit looks like it covers most of the bases.  Lab disks, manuals, guides, step by step video instructions, and more malicious tools than Symantec can handle are all included.

In short, the $440 was well worth it.
<<

venom77

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:57 pm

Good deal, glad to hear you're enthused about it :) Be sure to ask if you have any questions and good luck on your exam when it comes time!

Return to General Certification