Metasploit 3.1, I need some info

<<

oniigumo

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:31 am

Metasploit 3.1, I need some info

Well, I decided to tinker a bit with some of this stuff. Was gonna set up a test computer and load it up with all the software I use on mine to test my security, using Metaploit to see if I could break in. Well seein as this is my first time doing anything like this I was suprised to find while installing AVG detected a trojan, call me a noob lol. Ok, I'm wondering if this was just a payload they want YOU to use while messing with it or did I get a tampered version with a trojan installed onto it? kinda freaked me out seeing as I just built this computer and it's my baby lol. Any help is welcomed! Thanks again. (I uninstalled promptly lol, better safe then sorry for me. I'll hook up a hunk of junk system I have layin around for that.)
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:57 am

Re: Metasploit 3.1, I need some info

I doubt you got a trojaned version. Keep in mind that you are installing an exploit framework, of course some things will be detected. Just to be on the safe side, be sure you got the setup from:
www.metasploit.com
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

oniigumo

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:14 pm

Yep, that's where I got it from. I figured that was the reason, but I wanted to double check. Thanks  :)
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:39 pm

Np.  ;D
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

LSOChris

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:16 pm

i general most hack tools would be considered malware and trojans for the reason that if YOU didnt install them, you would want to know they are on your box. make sense?
<<

oniigumo

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Yep, makes alot more sense now lol. Thanks for all the help!  ;D
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:13 pm

To avoid something like that in the future, you could set them up in a virtual PC. All of my toys are there along with a target. This way, I can always reset the machine without damaging my host system. There are a couple of freebee vm products available like VMWare Server and MS VirtualPC. Both are available directly from the vendors. I will say though, that VirtualPC does not play well with Linux variants.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

oniigumo

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:57 pm

I have a bunch of junk computers, could I just hook those up to a switchbox and make one an attackin computer then install my software on the others? Like AVG, Ad-Aware, and stuff like that to see if I can damage it? Cause the whole point was to check the security of my computer, so I wanted my EXACT software env to be emulated. I mean I could care less if I could compromise a system running Norton Internet Security since I'm not running it on my system, only need to know how strong mine is. Know what I mean? Thanks for the suggestion, just thought this might give me the same results :)
Last edited by oniigumo on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Tools