CEH exam woes

<<

sgt_mjc

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:53 am

CEH exam woes

Hey all,

I just sat through and completed the course with New Horizons. I found the course to be hugely informative and scary enough that I was just about ready to unplug the computer from the wall when I got home. The course really opened my eyes to a world that I knew existed but had no idea how big it really was. I have now sat for the CEH and CPTS exam and scored the same on both. Namely I didn't pass. It did open my eyes to more and I discoved that the course did not cover near what it needed to for the exam. Both stressed more than just the tools or how to use them. I feel that in many ways the course offered a disservice since most people would think that a course would prepair you for the actual exam. I wish that it would have given better feed back so that I can learn where I'm weak at. Any advice would be welcome. So to rant as my first post. I'm just a little dicouraged.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:11 pm

Re: CEH exam woes

Welcome to EH-Net and don't worry about ranting. If you can't do it here...

This is something I wrote about somewhere before. Don't ask where... it's the Alzheimers. But it is vastly important to get the right instructor. One course through New Horizons may be vastly different from the same New Horizons course taught by a different instructor. I'm sure yours knew a lot on info, and that would be great for a general course on ethical hacking. But you specifically took a course for the CEH exam, and that should have been his focus.

I'be be interested to hear more about your comparison for both the course and the material between CPTS anhd CEH.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:51 pm

The CPTS exam was not far off from the CEH, but its focus was slightly different. I guess the best way to put it is that it was focused on the ethical side of hacking than on the procedures to hack or counter. Don't get me wrong, it looked at the whole picture, but the focus was not the same. So I am taking both exams as a lesson learned and will be looking at the areas I thought I was off on. Unfortunately, without better feed back other than the score, I' not sure where those areas are.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

venom77

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:08 pm

Welcome sgt_mjc,

Certainly don't get discouraged by not passing the CEH exam. It's not an easy exam and you're absolutely correct by saying that the instructors can't cover all of the material in the alloted time. I also took the CEH class through New Horizons, but was far from happy with it. Fortunately (listening to Don's advice here) I had requested the courseware materials in advance and was able to read through all books and go through all the labs as well. I created my own study guide from that and read through the ExamPrep CEH Review Guide prior to taking the exam. I would suggest picking up one of the review books that are out there and trying the practice tests. That should give you a better idea as to where your strengths and weaknesses are.

Bill
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:16 pm

BillV is correct. Again... in another post or article somewhere... I highly recommend getting all of the study materials sent to you in advance. That way, when the instructor goes through it, it is not the first time you hear it. Also, as he mentions, if the instructor doesn't cover it, you did!

Here's the trick. The training provider usually will not offer to send you the materials unless YOU ASK FOR IT!! A simple request and they will ship you everything at their expense. You just have to ask.

This is good advice for any course not just CEH.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

bigwhiff

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:08 pm

Hi sgt_mjc,

Well don't be discouraged by not passing the CEH it has such a wide breadth of information to cover that it is hard to ensure that you know everything.  I just passed the exam last week and I would strongly recommend the following books for some self study though:

CEH: Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide: Exam 312-50  (kimberly graves)
If you only buy one book this is a great nutshell of what is covered.  It was the only book I read cover to cover.  It is short.

Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Prep (Exam Prep 2 (Que Publishing))
This book is very good for filling in the cracks on areas you really need more information on.

I also though the TestKing practice test are good.  I used them as a guide to see what I needed to read up on more.  They do a very good job of grading you on individual areas.  So when I bombed a section on the practice exam I would go to the Exam Prep book and read up on that area.

I hope that this helps. Remember you can't know NMAP, TCPdump and your Snort logs to well.

Cheers,
Jack
Jack Campbell
CCNP CCDP GCIH GHTQ C|EH
http://secauditor.wordpress.com
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:43 am

Thanks guys for the advice. I'll let you all know how it goes after I take the exams again.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:59 pm

I passed!!!!!!!
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

venom77

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:13 am

Excellent job! Congrats!!! ;D
<<

KrisTeason

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:20 am

Well done man, well done.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:57 am

well done that man!

For those of us still studying to sit the exam, do you have any advice beyond the usual 'study hard and practice'?
<<

venom77

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:05 am

RoleReversal wrote:well done that man!

For those of us still studying to sit the exam, do you have any advice beyond the usual 'study hard and practice'?

If you haven't already, read the Official Review Guide.

Trust me, there's a reason I post this all the time, it's not just to get a good workout for my fingers ;) :P
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:09 am

Cheers BillV,

already got that one, guess I'm good to go.... ;)
<<

venom77

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:24 am

Excellent! How soon are you looking at taking the exam?
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:30 am

Not sure to be honest.

I still need to take and pass my CCNA exam after attending a week long bootcamp. Stumbling block is the stuff I don't do on a regular basis like frame-relay etc.

Once I've got that out the way I want to start hitting the security training/certs. Can't decide where I want to start, juggling between C|EH, GCIH, OSCP, all depends on funding, timing and time off work. So I'm left learning what I can in my spare time.

Any advice on where to start first? (would like the CISSP, but don't have the required experience yet so that will have to wait)
Next

Return to General Certification