Vista SP1 RTM

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:33 pm

Vista SP1 RTM

Do you think this will mean greater adoption of the OS?

See the MS Blog Posting.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Mr. Roboto

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Vista SP1 RTM

I'd say yes and no.  My company has began making preparations for the switch to Vista.  They plan to have it done by April (supposedly when MS support for XP is finished).

Seems to me that there are two reasons why people/businesses are switching to Vista.

1.  They have to for one reason or another (eg many vendors no longer selling XP, lack of compatibility with new devices or the fear thereof)

2.  They like it?  Despite all of the drawbacks, if you can afford a Gig or two of RAM and a dual core processor, then Vista can look pretty good.  It just looks cool.

So do I think the Vista SP1 RTM will increase sales of the OS? 

I don't think we'll ever know.  Sales of Vista will most likely increase no matter what, just because MS says so.
A+, Security+, HDI Support Center Analyst, MCTS: Vista
<<

Mr. Roboto

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 pm

Have a beloved program which works fine on your Vista machine?  Maybe Vista SP1 is not for you.

Read the article http://vista.blorge.com/2008/02/21/micr ... -programs/.

Ironic.
A+, Security+, HDI Support Center Analyst, MCTS: Vista
<<

geekyone

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:40 pm

Quote from the Microsoft KB article

"The programs in the following table have known compatibility problems with Windows Vista SP1. For reliability reasons, Microsoft blocks these programs from starting after you install Windows Vista SP1."

So Microsoft is basically saying, Sorry but these programs make our O/S look bad so you can't run them until the companies comply with our standards.

Hmmmm?
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

Kev

Post Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:22 pm

Vista just might just stay "microsoft" on the retail market for some time to come. Sorry for the bad pun. It could end up being like the Edsel. The problem is there are so many 3rd party apps available that can give you a lot of security on XP.  XP can be secure if you keep it patched and lock it down. 

The benefits for gamers using direct X 10 is extremely small. Infact there is a hack out there to run directx10 on XP!  Then add how many third party apps that dont work on vista. No wonder its not taking off.  When the day comes that microsoft stops XP support then that will force some people to switch over. 

Return to Other