Computer illiteracy

<<

iSmith

Post Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:51 pm

Computer illiteracy

You know, in my country, it is amazing to see how many people use computers and don't have an antivirus/ have an unmaintained antivirus. I have fixed 5 pc's so far, and three of them had dozens of viruses. :o
In my eyes, your operating system is as solid as swiss cheese.
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:34 am

Re: Computer illiteracy

Heh, you should have seen some of the computers of ex roomates I have worked on....  You know what you get when you have a college roomate... who knows nothing about computers, but loves his pr0n? You get a roomate who wants to know why he keeps getting adds popping up, why his computer is sssssooooo slow.... and wants to know if you can help him find his fuzzies.  At that point.. you wipe the hard drive and do 10 hail Maries.  Heh... well mabey not the hails... but you definately wipe the hard drive.  Same thing I would suggest on any computers where you find a ton of viruses.  Backup needed documents, and check those with a couple scanners, then wipe the hard drive.  Once a computer gets 'dirty'... you more likely than not have root kits and other crap you dont' want to work to find oozing around under the hood.  I think my record is over 400 viruses and pieces of adware/malware floating around on a box I was working on.  (total from combined scans of different antivirus programs that took... hours to run) 
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

iSmith

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:38 pm

My record is about 80 viruses. (mostly copies). :)
<<

pseud0

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:14 pm

Ditto.  I've hit in the 80-90 range before, but most of the copies were not functional.  There are several virus/malware strains now that will create copies of themselves when they log a certain event (opening up explorer, anti-virus loads into memory, mercury enters a retro-grade orbit into Jupiter's third house, etc) and you find them renamed and copied all over the place.
CISSP, CISM, CISA, GCIH, GREM, CEH, HMFIC, KTHXBIROFLCOPTER
<<

iSmith

Post Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:14 am

pseud0 wrote:Ditto.  I've hit in the 80-90 range before, but most of the copies were not functional.  There are several virus/malware strains now that will create copies of themselves when they log a certain event (opening up explorer, anti-virus loads into memory, mercury enters a retro-grade orbit into Jupiter's third house, etc) and you find them renamed and copied all over the place.

Yeah, some viruses are really nasty. read my post entitled Flash drive virus.
<<

bigwhiff

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:36 pm

Shoot if you think roommates are bad try a household of Teenagers (4).  Even with AV. anti-spyware, etc I reformat their machines almost quarterly.  Needless to say they are a completely separate network with an independent firewall from all I do.  They would be the complete opposite of a "Trusted Network".  LOL

-Jack
Jack Campbell
CCNP CCDP GCIH GHTQ C|EH
http://secauditor.wordpress.com
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:00 pm

4 teenagers eh?  Heheh... yeah, you know it's ironic that people get viruses in the physical world when they are dirty and wh0rish, and computers suffer the same fate of VSTD's (Virtual Sexually Transmitted Disease) when you go tramping around the net.  Ansty teens surfing around the net for their pr0n are about as prone to get an VSTD for thier box, as they would be to get an STD if they were running around Tijuana visiting every dark, damp dirty little 'specialty' shop.

Damn I love being able to just image machines.. it makes things SO much easier when you have to deal with roomates (or teens) on a regular basis.  Heh, another fun one is to edit their host file, and have it forward them to a nice condeming web site when they try to link to their favorite digi-flesh site.  ;)  I have done that a few times for kicks, and who are they going to compain to? :P Haha
<<

geekyone

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:41 pm

LOL your an evil man g00d_4sh.  :D
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:25 am

Muhahahaha.... ohh the stories I could tell you.

Return to Malware