What's your favorite programming/scripting language?

<<

rance

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:18 pm

What's your favorite programming/scripting language?

If you've read my "I was bored" post, you kind of know where this is coming from.  Anyway, I'm curious what languages people like to code in.  Could just be for some small, quick thing, or for a huge project (one of the guys I work with writes major dynamic websites in Perl, I think he's coo coo). 

So, let's have it.  Favorite language(s), and why!
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH
<<

Kev

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:46 pm

Re: What's your favorite programming/scripting language?

For me its Python.  I like it for quick projects. It just has an easy and logical "feel" to it. Its not as close to machine code as C, but with computers so powerful and fast today, I am not sure that matters as much as it used to. Even complex Python programs seem to work fast. If I was writing a large computer game I would still favor C. For exploit code I still seem to only work with C, but that is probably out of habit more than anything else.
<<

jimbob

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:39 am

I like perl best, simply because I am most familiar with it. There's a huge library of modules on CPAN, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel everytime I want to do something. C is sometimes indispensable.

Despite it's somewhat limited scope shell scripting is good too because it works on so many systems. Know shell scripting an you can program on just about any *nix system regardless of it's flavour and age.

Jimbob
<<

iSmith

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:46 pm

My favorite is also python, followed by java. i like them because they are both small and fast.
In my eyes, your operating system is as solid as swiss cheese.
<<

icetek

Post Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:59 pm

Being the non-programming slacker that I am, I like Perl for writing *real* code because I can always find examples of code elsewhere to borrow from and I like shell for quick wrappers where I can leverage awk, sed, etc. I have taken numerous C classes which didn't help much because I wasn't real motivated..  I'm sick of programming "Hello World!" ;-)
<<

kabal

Post Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:56 pm

java seemed intimidating for me and i was studying in c#.net for a while and Visual studio 2005 and 2008 are nice IDEs to program in compaired to Eclipse.

Now that im more into Oracle products i see the power of java and im going to switch towards java and try to get my cert in java eventhough in dont like Eclipse for some reason ;-)
<<

KrisTeason

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:22 am

I'm currently in a Java class & I've got to admit it has opened my eyes to the world of Object Oriented Programming. I used to be one of those guys who thought VB.net was 'the shit' but I honestly like it because of how similar the code is to C# & C++. For me it's a good language because once you get your hands on it, you have little if no problem learning similar programming languages.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

JobMatchNow

Post Wed May 28, 2008 3:26 pm

I enjoy using pearl.
<<

shakuni

Post Wed May 28, 2008 3:57 pm

I enjoy using pearl.

You don't seem to enjoy it much...cause it is "perl".
There is no rule, law or tradition that apply universally... including this one.

Return to Programming