I was bored last night...

<<

rance

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:50 pm

I was bored last night...

...and wrote an SMTP open relay tester... in PHP... for no good reason.  (and it works pretty good, for only taking a couple hours to bang out.)

The moral of the story?  This post really has no relevant information.
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: I was bored last night...

Well you COULD have posted a link to an ftp site with it, so others could dork around with it.  :P I still need to get better at coding in general myself.  Most of my 'programs' have been pretty simplistic ones that display text or annoy.  Nothing actually useful in the least, other than my personal entertainment factor.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

rance

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: I was bored last night...

g00d_4sh wrote:Well you COULD have posted a link to an ftp site with it, so others could dork around with it.  :P I still need to get better at coding in general myself.  Most of my 'programs' have been pretty simplistic ones that display text or annoy.  Nothing actually useful in the least, other than my personal entertainment factor.

I may actually GPL it after I dink with it some more.  I just don't know if I want to be associated with authoring such a "tool"... :)

It really came about form my post a couple weeks back looking for an open relay server to use.  I started looking at scanners/testers, and they all seemed pretty lacking, so I figured I'd slap one together myself.  My goal was to do it in Perl though (since my perl-fu sucks)... but, I just find Perl to be... so... yuck.  So, after trying really hard to do it in Perl for a solid five minutes or so, I gave up and went to PHP, really just to see if it could be done.

All the other security people at my job (that can code) use Perl, and I'm always getting bashed because I script in PHP.  They keep saying how lacking it is, Perl's better, etc.  I actually gave my PHP code to one of the Perl guys and said "do this in Perl, so I can look at your code and relate."  It still looks like gibberish to me.

Which brings up another interesting topic to post... STAY TUNED!
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH

Return to Other