how it works???????

<<

proudindian

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:24 am

how it works???????

hey can anyone please  tell me how the camera shy tool works?????I want a tutorial about it,how it works for steganography???? ???Its very interesting :P
<<

venom77

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:38 am

Re: how it works???????

I've not done a lot with it, but I believe there's a short introduction to it in the CEH courseware. It basically allows you to see hidden messages by typing in a password. It may have more/other uses, but again, I haven't played much with that tool.
<<

proudindian

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:29 am

BIllv
Thnx for your rely.I kno any1 can see the hidden mesg I mean there is a process of hideing a messg behind a pic,but can we just use it for hideing programmes behind the gif?????Please help......
<<

jimbob

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:33 am

Some stego programs store binary files in images e.g. word documents. There's no reason you couldn't use them to hide an executable file, although I can't comment on camera shy specifically as I've never used it.

If only text is supported in a tool you can encode binary data in text format using something like uuencode and store the data as text.

Jimbob
<<

proudindian

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:08 pm

jimbob

can you tell me any stego tools which can hide an excutable file behind a pic????
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:50 pm

I haven't used this program, but your post sent me on a little surfing trip and I found this:

Invisible Secrets 4

Check out some of the legit features that one could use for illegit purposes:

Destroy Files

Deleting files and folders from Windows Explorer is not secure. This will delete only the file's name so that you will no longer see it in Windows Explorer. To destroy files and folder beyond recovery you must overwrite the file/folder before erase. Invisible Secrets 4 provides an integrated Shredder (DoD 5220.22-M compliant) for this operation.

New! Internet Trace Destructor

Internet Traces are information left behind on your computer while you browse the Internet: internet cache, cookies, recently typed URLs, Internet Explorer History and Most Recently Used Documents / Applications.
With Invisible Secrets 4 you can destroy all these traces so that nobody would ever know what did you use the Internet for, and what websites you visited.

New! Cryptboard

The Cryptboard is a new concept in Invisible Secrets 4. While working in Window Explorer (or other shell programs) you can add files to the Cryptboard - which is similar to a basket that contains files. The files are remembered in a list (called Cryptboard), and you can perform various security operations on them in a single step, anytime you want. The Cryptboard is accessible through the context menu, the tray icon, or from the main program.

New! EMail Encryption

Invisible Secrets 4 offers a new function: creation of Self Decrypting Packages. Using this function you can create an executable package with encrypted content. Before encryption the files are compressed. After the package is created you can send it by email. All the receiver needs to decrypt the package at destination is the correct password (no need of special programs), since the package is a program itself.

New! IP-to-IP Password Transfer

In security everything is related to passwords and keys. Once two parties agree on a password they can initiate a secure communication and send encrypted emails or documents. The only problem is to communicate to the recipient the correct key,
without the danger that a hacker might intercept the password during the transfer. This feature allows you to exchange a password between two computers using an encrypted internet line.

New! Application Locker

If you have applications on your computer that you would like to keep only for yourself, or to restrict the access to those applications, the perfect solution for you is the Lock Applications function. Invisible Secrets will encrypt the application. When you want to run a locked application you need to provide the password. Invisible Secrets will decrypt the application and will allow you to run it. After the application is closed, Invisible Secrets re-encrypts it in the background. To quickly open the list of locked application you can define a hot-key, or use the tray menu.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

proudindian

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:05 am

but I heared that we can hide messges behind the picture,but is this possible to hide any executable code behind the pic????
<<

pseud0

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:01 am

To be clear, you are going to be able to hide the actual data of an executable within a pic (the 1's and 0's) but it is no longer going to be an executable.  The operating system has specific ways to identify any piece of data as being something it can execute, or if it is simply a piece of data that is going to be used by something else.  As soon as you mask the executable file by running it though your stego program you are going to break that link as the OS will not be able to recognize it as being a program.  Until someone on the other end pulls it back out of the stego file it won't be executable again.  Even then, on some OS's you are going to have to do some work to get the file flagged as an executable again.  For example, in *IX operating systems you might have to do a #>chmod +x to get it recognizable again.  With all that being said, there are some special cases where you can make data files act a little like executables (think the windows .jpg hacks that were popular for awhile) but that doesn't seem to be what you're looking for.
CISSP, CISM, CISA, GCIH, GREM, CEH, HMFIC, KTHXBIROFLCOPTER
<<

aldoelam

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:01 am

proudindian wrote:but I heared that we can hide messges behind the picture,but is this possible to hide any executable code behind the pic????

No, you cannot hide an executable inside a picture using steganography. Steganography can only be used to hide text, and encrypted it.

If you want to hide an executable, use a "wrapper" instead.
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:42 am

aldoelam wrote:
proudindian wrote:but I heared that we can hide messges behind the picture,but is this possible to hide any executable code behind the pic????

No, you cannot hide an executable inside a picture using steganography. Steganography can only be used to hide text, and encrypted it.

If you want to hide an executable, use a "wrapper" instead.

Check out the other thread about this topic  And with the GIFAR presentation at BlackHat by Nate McFeters, et al. you'll find that pictures combined with Java will do exactly what you just said cannot be done.

[quote=Me :)]Apparently this garnered some attention at BlackHat this week.  Rich Mogull gave a little write up about it over on Securosis, but I've been seeing a lot of others talking about it, too.[/quote]
Reluctant CISSP, Certified ASS

Return to Tools