Backtrack 3 questions

<<

MrTHaggar

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:38 pm

Backtrack 3 questions

Hello everyone

First post here, and I hope I'm not repeating things that are elsewhere in the forums with  my questions.

I'm due to start a BSc in Forensic Computing in September, and I'm having a bit of a play around with Backtrack 3.

My questions are these:

I've setup a WEP wireless  network and I'm using Wesside-ng to crack it, I've only got one wireless card and I've managed to crack the key, and I can connect.

I've tried using Wifizoo, but once I've connected to the network, it doesn't capture any data, am I correct in assuming that I still need an interface in monitor  mode?

Also once I've issued the airmon-ng start wifi0 command, I can't figure out how to stop it, I've done the airmon-ng stop ath0 and airmon-ng stop wifi0, and looking in iwconfig, all the extentions are stopped, but I can't get my card to detect any wireless networks, until I take the card out and put it back again, it's a Netgear WPN511, not sure if that makes a difference.

Hope someone can help me out.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tony
<<

Kev

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Backtrack 3 questions

You are doing well if you got wesside-ng to work, lol. It is really buggy and only works in certain environments. That is, everything has to be just right. You need to get out of monitor mode to capture with wifizoo.  Remember you are trying to use a browser.  Unfortunately, some cards require a reboot to get out of monitor mode.  If you are using booth  a card and your on board adapter you should be fine so you can go back and forth as need be. Oh and dont be surprised if wifizoo doesnt always grab what you want. Its as buggy as the windows version of ferret/hamster.
Last edited by Kev on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MrTHaggar

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanks for the info Kev.

I've come out of monitor mode and I can't get Wifizoo to capture anything.

I'm going to get a second wifi card soon, in fact I need a new laptop, as I'm trying to do this on a horrible Pentium II laptop that I was given for free :)

Do you have any suggestions on other things I can try, now that I have a basic understanding of WEP cracking?
<<

Kev

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:25 pm

Just remember that the card you use is everything when it comes to cracking wep. I love my Ubiotti card and you can get it here:
http://www.wlanparts.com/c=ZFe9p3ewMTR9 ... cia_cards/

I have the best luck with the atheros chip, but I also have a prism card for when I want to use void11 which seems to work better for disconnecting the client.  When you buy a new laptop check out acer.  My aspire came with an on board atheros chip that works amazingly well and can inject and seems to have some range.

Return to Tools