Webinar: EC-Council Continuing Education Point System (ECE)

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:17 pm

Webinar: EC-Council Continuing Education Point System (ECE)

Just got this via email and thought I would share it with you, since many have been talking about this topic in the forums:

EC-Council Continuing Education Point System (ECE)

EC-Council Continuing Education points will serve to ensure that all EC-Council certified professionals maintain and further their knowledge. Professionals will need to meet the requirements of the ECE to avoid revocation of certification.

Join us to find out more about EC-Council Continuing Education Point System and in this session, Sean will introduce and explain the program to our members.
29 January 2008
9am EST 
10pm (Hong Kong)
2pm (London)
7.30pm (New Delhi)
Duration: 60 Minutes
Presenter: Sean Lim, VP EC-Council

*EC-Council Members will earn 5 ECE points

To register for this webinar:
http://www.eccouncil.org/forms/TakeSurv ... ID=l2KH768

Hope this will clear up some questions that have been recently asked,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Webinar: EC-Council Continuing Education Point System (ECE)

Don or anyone else that will be attending this webinar, please reply with any important notes from this session for those of us that can't attend :(

Just happens to be the same day/time of our weekly network staff meetings :-\
<<

rance

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:59 pm

Anyone get a chance to attend this?  I didn't make it in to the office early enough and missed it.  An overview would be swell!
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH
<<

venom77

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:57 pm

Yes, we actually didn't have our meeting today, so I was able to attend.

I'll try to summarize as best I can...

The first thing that was emphasized, was that clause 3 of the Candidate Agreement that is agreed to prior to taking the exam states it is your own responsibility to be checking in with EC-Council for updates to the ECE guidelines, keeping track of your points, etc. A copy of the agreement can be found on the EC-Council website.

As for the ECE guidelines, each member that has earned a certification which requires re-certification or continuing education (most of them) must earn 120 points within 3 years (quite similar to CISSP requirements). The 120 points is per member not per certification. You must also earn a minimum of 20 points per year, so you can not slack off completely for the first two years and then rack up all of your points the final year.

If you have earned your certification prior to Dec. 31, 2007, your certifications are set to expire Dec. 31, 2010. If you have participated in qualifying events, or have earned points in 2007, you may carry over a maximum of 40 points into 2008. Do not get confused on this. Many people understood this to mean you can only earn a max. of 40 points in a year, which is not the case (or at least was never stated by EC-Council). The 40 point carry-over only applies to those certified prior to Dec. 31, 2007.

As for earning points, I didn't write them all down, but here are a couple:

Re-pass exam: 120 points
Attending a security conference: 5 points per day of attendance
Attending a chapter meeting: 3 points per meeting
Publishing a paper: 10 points per paper
Publishing a book: 40 points per book
University classes: 1 point per credit
Attending webinar: 5 points per webinar
Attending a security course/class: 1 point per hour of attendance
CBT Training: 1 point per hour of study (according to course)
Speaking at a security event: 10 points per hour
Attending Hacker Halted: 30 points
Publishing articles for EC-Council Members (probably in the portal): 25 points per article

Some of the recognized conferences are TechnoSecurity/Forensics, CSI, BlackHat, Interop, and others.

All members are expected to maintain sufficient evidence (paper trail) of their points earned. EC-Council has the right to audit you and you will need to provide evidence of your points (despite the fact that they will have a point-tracking portal). Side-note: the ECE tracking portal will be available soon.

There will be no annual membership fees and you will have access to yearly online transcripts.

Once you've earned your points, you will receive an ECE certificate stating that your certifications are still valid.

If you have any questions and want them answered by EC-Council officially, they may be directed to ece@eccouncil.org.

I hope this helps and gives everyone a good overview. I'm sure there will be many more details released with the official ECE guideline document that should be published on the EC-Council website hopefully soon.

I'll try my best to answer any questions that you have if I've missed something.

Bill
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:27 pm

Nice contribution.

Thanks,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks, Don.

For those of you that haven't seen this yet, here is the link to the EC-Council website providing ECE Information. It pretty much has most of the same information I've posted above, but hasn't been changed since it was released and doesn't seem to be fully updated with what was stated in the webinar today.

For example, it mentions half-way down the page that 40 points is the maximum that can be earned in a year. This was not mentioned in the webinar, and during the chat Q&A session, I was never corrected by the hosts when telling people that 40 is not a maximum.

It also doesn't make sense, as the minimum is 20. If you earned 20 in year 1, and are capped at 40 each for years 2 and 3, you'll never make it to 120.

Return to General Certification