Looking for MS08-001 PoC

<<

cringe

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:54 pm

Looking for MS08-001 PoC

We have a client who literally will not apply a patch unless a PoC is publicly available. There of course are many issues with this, but that's a conversation for another time :)

Anyone seen a legit PoC for MS08-001 yet? I know CANVAS already has a plug-in for this issue, which is usually a sign that a public PoC is floating around somewhere.
netcat 4 life
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:54 pm

Re: Looking for MS08-001 PoC

the fact that canvas has it should be enough to warrant a patch.  especially depending on who they are worried about as a threat.  real criminals can afford core and canvas and the fact there isnt a poc on milw0rm shouldnt stop them from patching.
<<

Kev

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:02 pm

ChrisG wrote:the fact there isnt a poc on milw0rm shouldnt stop them from patching.

I get the feeling they only want to protect themselves from script kiddies?
Unfortunately many in corporate America and some white collar admins dont have a clue when it comes to the underground.  I recommend anyone serious about security at least make some effort to understand the darker side and that doesn't mean just learning a few tools hackers use.  Years ago I used to spend a lot of time in IRC channels before they got totally over run with noobs and that was a good way. You can still find your way to some skilled people but you really have to be patient now.  Honeynets are good but you do catch a lot of small fish! I think its a mistake of the honeynet community when I read a generalization about black hats being lazy or script kiddies, because thats the majority of what we catch. Then again I would agree if we included that group, yes they would be the vast amount out there, but I am not really worried about that segment any way.  Amazing how even a poorly configured firewall thwarts them.  My point is , it would be wrong to dismiss the entire community as that.  I remember seeing about 5 years ago the authors of Hacking Expose in an interview say that there at least 10 exploits being traded by serious Black Hats that Microsoft was not aware of and had no patches.

You need to patch everything possible and then you still wont be protected because there are exploits that the white hat community is not aware. I believe as pentesters our job is to educate and if can do a good job of scaring the hell out of our client the better. If you go in like a cold robot and speak that way then you will be dead in the water. Give them the true facts but qualify it with the true possible out come of a breach. So policies need to be in place for damage control. Thats the reality. Now if this is a low level target then I would not be that concerned, but if it would be a major financial gain to hack the data, then obviously every possible breach needs to be identified and dealt with. 

Any way, I will look in my bag of goodies and see if I have a poc, if not maybe if I have time and its not too much work I can put one together and send it to you.
Last edited by Kev on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

cringe

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:37 am

Thanks Kev, I'd appreciate it. We have hundreds of  customers and very few that push off patches, and even then they really only do it when its the busy season for their applications. We've always tried to be very scrict with our PM process, however if we don't recognize the business needs of some of our customers, we may not have any left!  ;)
netcat 4 life

Return to Malware