'expiration' dates for C|EH etc.

<<

suicideducky

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:39 pm

'expiration' dates for C|EH etc.

Hey all, this is my 1st post of EH-net but I have been reading it for just over a week or so now.

BORING INTRO HERE:
I'm currenly 'pre-studying' for my C|EH class I hope to sit in march-ish. I can't take the self study option as I'm only 17 and have about 1 and a bit years in IT (including some infosec).

Im also studying for my MCTS in configuring Vista

Sorry that turned out to be a intro their...
REAL QUESTION HERE:

Ok so, I THINK I read on the ec-council site that you have to renew your C|EH every two years, and if you get a ECSA and LPT aswell you have to pay a $250 renew fee for your LPT, if one was to get all three of these certs, and one paid said $250 renewal fee would that renew them all or just LPT?

Hopefully that makes some sense...

Thanks again,
Chris.
<<

venom77

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:57 pm

Re: 'expiration' dates for C|EH etc.

As it's listed currently on the EC-Council website (or last I checked), you're pretty close.

The $250 renewal fee is for the LPT only. In order to maintain your ECSA and CEH, you must pass the newest exam or earn continuing education points.

EC-Council is currently getting ready to release their final guidelines for renewals and such, so some things will be changing (ex. 2 years will be 3). I'll try to update this thread once I have more information for you.

Welcome to EH-Net and good luck for your CEH! :)

Bill
<<

Dengar13

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:26 am

I didn't know the C|EH expired.  I passed version 4.0.  Shows you how out of the loop I am.  :'(
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

venom77

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:30 am

Dengar13 wrote:I didn't know the C|EH expired.  I passed version 4.0.  Shows you how out of the loop I am.  :'(

The expiration is a new initiative from EC-Council so that the certifications are compliant with standards.
<<

Kev

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:35 pm

BillV wrote:The expiration is a new initiative from EC-Council so that the certifications are compliant with standards.

Or its a way to make more money.
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:55 pm

it can be both!

it can enforce a new made up standard so they can make more money!  everyone wins except for us.
<<

Kev

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:59 pm

ChrisG wrote:it can be both!
t can enforce a new made up standard so they can make more money!  everyone wins except for us.

I agree.  My belief is it leans more to the money making aspect. I cant really justify my belief with hard facts, its just the feeling have after some conversations on the phone with people involved in the certification process. 

My feeling is the Ec-council was hoping there was going to be a flood of people trying to get there CEH.  They were hoping thousands upon thousands would keep coming every year, because the pitch of testing your network like a hacker was a good one.  But the problem is, once you certify someone you are done with them as far as money goes. That is unless you have some other way of getting another yearly fee. Now I do understand that things keep changing almost every day in this field so it does make sense to require some kind of continued education, but that needs to be real and not something contrived.
Last edited by Kev on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

changlinn

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:29 pm

Maybe they should go the cissp route and make things worth points. I think they should give points as well though towards working in the infosec community. Then they can have a membership fee that you have to pay on renewal, that would be less than the test, cause less administration, but competency is there because you have been using your skills for the last 36months.

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker