Neuromancer: The Movie?

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:02 pm

Neuromancer: The Movie?

I wasn't so sure how to take this after numerous rumors about an impending big screen version of the classic book. But last May I saw this:

Hoffman to produce 'Neuromancer'
Source: Variety May 18, 2007

Then nothing about the story for a while until...

JoBlo.com Reports that Hayden Christensen will play Case

Now we can have many arguments as to whether this can be made into a movie, but I'd go see it regardless.

What are your thoughts?

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:42 pm

Re: Neuromancer: The Movie?

Hmm, never read the book... is it any good?  I'm totally going to label myself here as a nerd... but at one point after college years ago I did play a bit of Shadowrun, and they used the Neuromancer nomencleture I believe.  That's what popped into my head when I read this at first.  Anyway, I'm always interested in a decent book to fill what little freetime I have... if it's worth the reading.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

blackazarro

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:47 pm

From the reviews I've read, Neuromancer is a classic and it is a must read.
The author William Gibson visioned that the future would be globally connected like that of the World Wide Web, coining the term CyberSpace in his book. Gibson also wrote about virtual reality, selling body parts in a black market and the matrix. All this way back in 1984 when the Internet and The Matrix movie did not exist.

I first heard that Neuromancer would become a movie in G4 CES '08 coverage, mentioning that Hayden Christensen from Star Wars and also staring in his upcoming picture Jumper, will play Case the brilliant and talented hacker. If all goes well the movie will be released in '09.

I will definitely read this novel before the movie comes out.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:41 am

Nice, thanks for the input blackazarro, I will be burning that boarders gift certificate I got this Christmas it looks like on that instead of another security book. ;)
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:02 pm

Finished the book, damn that was a very fun read.  And the amount of tie ins to current and classic Sci Fi and cyberpunk films, not to mention cyberpunk genre gaming is increadibly appearent.  I'm hoping he got some royalties off some stuff, since things like Shadowrun rip off a ton of the terminology in the book etc.

Return to Mass Media