<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:36 pm

KNOPPIX 5.0 Released at CeBIT 2006

Here you go...

What is KNOPPIX®?
KNOPPIX is a bootable Live system on CD or DVD, consisting of a representative collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a productive Linux system for the desktop, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it (over 8GB on the DVD "Maxi" edition).

At CeBIT, which takes place from 9.-15.3.2006 in Hannover, Germany, a new version of the KNOPPIX Live DVD will be available. Apart from various talks about "KNOPPIX", Klaus Knopper is going to present a keynote about "The Next 100 Years" of development and visions of a possible future all around GNU/Linux, Free and Open Source Software.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Negrita

Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:33 pm

Re: KNOPPIX 5.0 Released at CeBIT 2006

Well I'm waiting for this quite anxiously. I have Knoppix 4.0.2 installed on my HDD at home and the other day I ran apt-get update and also apt-get upgrade, wanting to get the latest updaes particularly the security ones. Since then KDE doesn't load at all after logon, it just goes back to the logon screen. I can logon OK using Fluxbox or IceWM, so in the mean time I'm using Fluxbox.

I tried uninstalling KDE from Knoppix (which I later discovered is an impossibility), anyway I uninstalled KDE-core and various kde-libs files, before deciding that if I was to just reinstall KDE on top of the old install, it would just overwrite anything that was there without the need for uninstalling everything first. I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do, perhaps some of the Linux gurus here could correct me.

Anyway I ran apt-get install kde from root which downloaded about 334MB of packages (thank goodness I have broadband cable), but this didn't solve the problem at all.

I've resigned to the fact that I'd rather just wait for Knopix 5.0 and install that than waste my time trying to fix this. In the mean time I'm just getting used to using a variety of desktops, particularly Fluxbox.

P.S. The reason why I'm still waiting even though CeBit ended on 15/3/06 is because the Knoppix 5.0 distro will only be available on mirrors 2 weeks after the CeBit convention ends.
Last edited by Negrita on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

pcsneaker

Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:12 pm

I tried uninstalling KDE from Knoppix (which I later discovered is an impossibility), anyway I uninstalled KDE-core and various kde-libs files, before deciding that if I was to just reinstall KDE on top of the old install, it would just overwrite anything that was there without the need for uninstalling everything first. I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do, perhaps some of the Linux gurus here could correct me.

If your problem is related to a mismatch between something configured and the newly downloaded files doing so will not really help. When you uninstall packages with 'apt-get remove' everything related to the configuration will not be deleted (nor overwritten if you reinstall it).

So if you really want to get rid of KDE compile a list with all KDE related packages by running "dpkg -l | grep -i kde". Uninstall all the packages on the list with apt-get remove (that will also remove some of the dependencies but not all). After that "dpkg -l | grep rc" wil give you a list of all packages removed but still configured on your system, to really get rid of all these config files just do a "dpkg --purge packagename", after that you can reinstall KDE...
MCSA:Security (W2k, W2k3)
MCSE:Security (W2k, W2k3)
CPTS, Network+
<<

Negrita

Post Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:13 pm

Yeah I figured there was something basic I was overlooking, particularly after re-installing everything to find that nothings changed.  Thanks for the advice, I'll try it out and report back how it goes.

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

Negrita

Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:58 am

Thanks pcsneaker, but that solution didn't work. It seems those commands just remove the symbolic links to the files without uninstalling them. Because afterwards when I tried to download and re-install KDE the only package to download was kbluetooth. ???

Anyway I feel I've hijacked this thread and taken it off course. I'd rather it stay on track and discuss the new distro than my troubleshooting problems. So did anyone here go to CeBIT or get a copy of Knoppix 5.0?

<<

Negrita

Post Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:54 am

FYI, Knoppix 5.0.1 CD and DVD versions are now finaly available for download from mirrors. Until now  the DVD version 5.0 had only been available on P2P networks and torrent sites. The 2 week wait turned out to be nearly 3 months. I hope the wait was worth it.
Last edited by Negrita on Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to Tools