What will a CISSP do for me?

<<

Dengar13

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:31 pm

What will a CISSP do for me?

Since my company has encouraged me to obtain this cert, I would like to know what the overall opinion is for this cert.  Should I expect a raise if I earn it?  Does this open doors or do people shy away from people who hold it?

I have been out of the loop a little due to school and am trying to jump back in.  Thanks all!
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:45 pm

Re: What will a CISSP do for me?

It is considered the gold standard of security certs. But keep in mind that it is more of a management security cert, so that is why it has been often described as a mile wide and a foot deep. But it's gold standard description is more because of the way in which they maintain the credential, proctor the exam, require experience as well as continuing education credits.

But all things being equal, punch CISSP into a job search engine and you tell me what you see.

One thing to mention, don't expect an immediate raise from an employer that asks you to get it or helps you with your efforts. Simply say thank you for their help as it will help you in the future as well as how you are viewed by others in the industry.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:50 pm

CISSP is on the "never go hungry cert list"  so its a benefit from that respect, lots of people make it requirement for whatever reason.

now if you company is asking you to get it, then hopefully they will be supporting you getting your CPE credits by sending you to training every year.
Last edited by LSOChris on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Dengar13

Post Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:29 pm

I am surprised on how many results I found when punching that into a job search engine.

I hope my company would support me maintaining this cert as well, but always have the military to go back into if I am in a crunch for education benefits...although my wife would probably take issue with that.  :-\

Sound advice and comments from you both, thanks!

Oh yeah, it looks like a CISSP bootcamp is coming to my home town in August and is being tought by my former instructor at the tech school I went to (praying I get approved to attend it).  That should give me ample enough time to finish school and concentrate on studying for the exam.
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

Mr. Roboto

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:40 am

The CISSP is a requirement for the highest tier of Sys Admins within the DoD.  So if seeking (or wanting to keep) a job with the government, the CISSP will fulfill all of the 8570 requirements.

On that same note, I know of at least one large Contracting company who gladly pays their employees a $1,000 bonus for passing this cert.

Very valuable.
A+, Security+, HDI Support Center Analyst, MCTS: Vista
<<

pseud0

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:01 pm

Within some of the major IT organizations a bonus for the CISSP can run from $500 to $3000.  Anyone wanting to do major league consulting should consider the CISSP almost a requirement unless you have other heavy duty experience or certs that can take its place.  Having one does not mean you know what the hell you are doing, but more and more often we are seeing clients request staff with a CISSP.  As previously mentioned, it is also big within the government realm in order to cover recent regulations.
CISSP, CISM, CISA, GCIH, GREM, CEH, HMFIC, KTHXBIROFLCOPTER
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:22 pm

yup what pseud0 said.  i have seen people that have tons or experience not get jobs for the very reason they didnt have their CISSP and the contract or customer required it.

just study, knock it out, pay your 85 bucks a year, and then go research and learn the stuff the cert is supposed to represent :-)
<<

oneeyedcarmen

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:16 pm

[quote=Chris]just study, knock it out, pay your 85 bucks a year, and then go research and learn the stuff the cert is supposed to represent :-)[/quote]

That's what I'm doing...kind of.  Like Don said, this cert covers a LOT, so very few people will actually have hands on expertise with all of it...hence it being considered a "Management" cert.  But just passing it has gotten me the opportunity to interview for positions that otherwise may not have given me a second glance(along with glowing references and a stellar resume  ;)).  Living in the DC Metro area, there are a ridiculous number of security positions available, be they working directly for the government, or for a defense contractor, but very few will hire without you already having a clearance.  Until the 85-70 came along at any rate.  Now, having one of the required certs is a great way to get your foot in the door.

The bootcamp I attended also got me some fantastic contacts who have helped me to learn more along the way, as well as putting me in touch with their management for possible future employment.  It's a nice club to be in, for sure.
Reluctant CISSP, Certified ASS
<<

lampard

Post Sat May 31, 2008 12:40 pm

My opinion is that if you meet the requirements to get the certification then just do it--no classes/bootcamps/scams.  You already have the knowledge.

Having it will open doors.

Regards,
Jonathan Lampard, CISSP (#120621)
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:27 pm

lampard wrote:My opinion is that if you meet the requirements to get the certification then just do it--no classes/bootcamps/scams. 

that's not always good advice.  you only need requirements in one of the domain to sit for the exam, that doesnt mean you know everything for the exam.

if bootcamps help you pass then take one, if you are someone that can read the book then self-study and go that route.
<<

partek

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:20 pm

At the very minimum anyone sitting for the CISSP should read the Shon Harris 'CISSP All In One' book . It definitely was good at filling the gaps in my security knowledge. After reading the book and doing all of the quizzes I didn't find hardly any difficulty at all with the test itself.
CISSP, CISM, CISA, CCNA Security, OSCP, CEH
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:02 pm

My boss was somehow able to get her CISSP back about 5 years ago or something... and she seems to know next to nothing about hands on security or whatnot.  She did it after just reading CISSP for Dummies... I'm hoping it's harder now than then?
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

apollo

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:35 pm

The CISSP means a lot more to managers than it does to technical guys from what I've seen.  Executives and managers seem to see that certification as a balance between technical skills and policy, and with it you know enough to be able to work with the more technical people as well as executives to ensure that the goals of the corporation are met and that you are balancing the companies best interest with the technical constraints that should be in place to help protect the company.  One of the big focuses on the CISSP is that the right technical answer isn't always the right answer, if something means you never get hacked but costs 1 bazillion dollars, that may not be in your best interest if you are only protecting earthworm mating parameters or something like that.  As such, in my opinion, the CISSP tests 2 things, the first being basic security knowledge in a variety of areas, and secondly it tests if you can think in both the technical and managerial worlds.  I guess that was long winded, but short answer is, if you think that you want to be a team lead, a manager, or a consultant, it can do nothing but help.

As for studying, this exam is as much about how you think as what you know, so the knowledge without the practice won't necessarily help you a lot.  I got more benefit out of http://www.cccure.org/ doing practice tests to get into the right mindset than anything else.  Anyway, just my .02
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+

Return to General Certification