Offensive Security 101 v2 Released

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:58 pm

Offensive Security 101 v2 Released

Short and sweet, here's the quote from the web site:

Offensive Security 101 goes to version 2! Course materials upgraded and updated to reflect the quickly changing security scene.

http://offensive-security.com/offsec101.php

Don

PS - How's this for a teaser... OffSec v2 courses up for grabs next month as an EH-Net Free Monthly Giveaway.
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:01 pm

Re: Offensive Security 101 v2 Released

Nice.....!  The blackhat dc tickets arn't much of a motivator to me since I'm accross the country from there, but courses.... or BlackHat Vegas.. either are sweet insentives.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

PTVenom

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:09 pm

I took Offensive-Security course (www.offensive-security.com) and it was amazing.  I learned SOOOOO much it was unbelievable.  The support is awesome, as they are always available via IRC. 
  They ease you into the labs making use of the tools for those that are not familiar with them.  The video's provided are detailed and easy to follow, as well as the course documentation.  The best part, you get to know Backtrack inside and out.  I now have my machine dual booting to Backtrack, and find myself using it more than....errr....windows.
  Great course, next is the WiFu course.

I am definitley looking forward to the challenge!
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:45 pm

PTVenom wrote: 
  I took Offensive-Security course (www.offensive-security.com) and it was amazing.  I learned SOOOOO much it was unbelievable.  The support is awesome, as they are always available via IRC. 
  They ease you into the labs making use of the tools for those that are not familiar with them.  The video's provided are detailed and easy to follow, as well as the course documentation.  The best part, you get to know Backtrack inside and out.  I now have my machine dual booting to Backtrack, and find myself using it more than....errr....windows.
  Great course, next is the WiFu course.

I am definitley looking forward to the challenge!

i'm curious to know how they eased you into the labs and what kind of help you received on the course.  most people say the exact opposite, especially on the help from irc.
<<

blackazarro

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:01 am

I just received an email from Offensive Security and it indicated that I will be receiving v2 for being one of the first students to take the course. Awesome, can't wait to see the updated material.

If you haven't taken this course yet, what are you waiting for. It's affordable and it kicks ass, you'll never regretted. So far, this is best hacking course I've taken... well actually the only one I've taken, but that's my point.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

PTVenom

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 am

Well they dont GIVE you answers, or anything like that.  They help in a way were that they push in the right direction.  If you say your having trouble understanding the topic, or working in the labs, they guide you.  They in no way give answers. 
  With the labs, you can take your time.  When I took the Ethical Hacking Course, you had to understand the topics by the next day, or you fell behind.  This course is all on YOUR time. If you understand the topic, and know how to say, exploit SQL Injections, you can move on to the next topic. You dont have to wait or sit through the rest of the discussion.  Belive me, it is NOT any easy course.  And some of the labs are very tough. 
  Alls im saying is that the course put ALOT of information together for me.

And I most likely will take v2.  Saving the coins is the problem.
<<

vijay2

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:49 am

I would say the OffSec 101 is a tough course. It assumes a lots of things that you should know, like complete understanding of TCP/IP the packet format and stuff, what is BoF condition. There is a very little theory, its more of a hands-on and practical course. The labs are great and they logically build on as the course progresses. If you want to take the challenge, you must be very through with the labs and must have completed all the exercise and at least attempted the extra mile stuff.

I would say it was easy going for me because i had attended the SANS Sec 504 and passed the GCIH before I attempted the OffSec 101 and the challenge. That Sec 504 gave me all the theory and explanation required to be successful in Offsec 101 and the challenge.   
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:48 am

Glad to hear a bit more about this course..  as I've been planning to take it after I get my CEH and CISSP.  I figure having the 'hands on' certs is rather important.  The price seems to be pretty reasonable too, so I'm glad to hear some good things about the courses. 
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

themadhatter

Post Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:05 pm

Does anyone know why the course is 550 now instead of 350 like it was before?
<<

venom77

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:51 pm

themadhatter wrote:Does anyone know why the course is 550 now instead of 350 like it was before?

Because it's a business
<<

themadhatter

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:20 pm

BillV wrote:Because it's a business

Yeah well thats almost a 75% increase from what the price was before... kinda sucks for the poor college kids like me.  Do you guys still think its worth the price?
<<

blackazarro

Post Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:32 pm

Its worth every penny! Hey think about this, CEH courseware alone cost 400 to 500 dollars.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

venom77

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:26 pm

themadhatter wrote:
BillV wrote:Because it's a business

Yeah well thats almost a 75% increase from what the price was before... kinda sucks for the poor college kids like me.  Do you guys still think its worth the price?

I agree, it is a high increase, but it's still significantly cheaper than comparable courses. And yes, I agree with blackazarro, it's definitely worth it.
<<

vijay2

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:34 pm

I agree too. This course is well worth it.

Anyone has any thoughts on OSWP ?
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

Kev

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:33 pm

You can blame me partially for the rate increase. At Blackhat I was pushing both Muts and Ziplock to raise their fees because they seemed so much under the market.  Doesn't the Ceh dvd from CBT nuggets cost something like $800?
Next

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional