SANS 2008/GCEH

<<

venom77

Post Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:24 am

SANS 2008/GCEH

So, I just got back from vacation and saw that my new IS magazine had arrived and with it a SANS 2008 magazine outlining the courses and so forth.

Anyone planning to attend this year?

While flipping through, I came across page 17 (for those of you that received this) outlining a new class/certification with Ed Skoudis, SEC560 - Network Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking (GCEH - GIAC Certified Ethical Hacker). It sounds quite interesting and I'm curious to see how it will effect EC-Council.

The GCEH page is here, but no information there yet.

The quote at the bottom of the magazine page is as follows:
"Successful penetration testers don't just throw a bunch of hacks against an organization and regurgitate the output of their tools. Instead, they need to understand how these tools work in depth, and conduct their test in a careful, professional manner. This course explains the inner workings of numerous tools and their use in effective penetration testing. When teaching the class, I particularly enjoy the numerous hands-on exercises culminated with a final pen-testing extravaganza lab" - Ed Skoudis

Another thing that I found a little ironic about this, is that I believe someone just posted a quote from Ed (Chris, I think it was you) saying something along the lines of "the information security world doesn't need more ethical hackers, it needs people who can properly respond to an incident."

Anyway, sounds like it's set to cover most of the same stuff found in the ECC CEH and Mile2 CPTS/E, though I'm sure it'll go above and beyond what both of those cover.

Bill
<<

vijay2

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:40 am

Re: SANS 2008/GCEH

I am registered to attend this course when it is offered at Tysons Corner 2008 for the first time. Having done OSCP and CEH, I think I will be able to compare this course with others.

I will post my thoughts when i am back for it.

BTW anyone attending shmoocon this year ?
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:16 pm

I would love to hear that comparison when you're done.

Chris Gates will be at ShmooCon.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

vijay2

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:54 pm

I managed to grab couple of tickets for shmoocon and i am planning to be there  :)
GPEN GCFA GCIH CISSP CISA GSEC OSCP C|EH Security+
<<

venom77

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:56 pm

vijay2 wrote:I am registered to attend this course when it is offered at Tysons Corner 2008 for the first time. Having done OSCP and CEH, I think I will be able to compare this course with others.

Excellent! I look forward to hearing about it when you're done. Thanks.
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:37 pm

yup me and Joe from LSO will be there.

Return to General Certification