Where's a good place to start?

<<

Cirdan

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:18 pm

Where's a good place to start?

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to finally be a member of ethicalhacker.net.  I've just about convinced my employer to send me off to CEH training, since our FTP server got hacked last year (my predecessor left the IUSR account with write permissions), and I'm concerned about what other holes there are which I don't yet know about.

My question:
I got a $50 certificate for Amazon for Christmas (Yay!) but I'm not sure which book to get as a good starting point.  I have a decent knowledge of networking, but most of my experience is in WinXP and prior desktop support, MSExchange2000-2003, and some light AD stuff.

Other info:
I've downloaded Netcat, Snort, Cain & Abel, and Nmap, but have not yet dug into those yet.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.
Many thanks!
Cir

~Wherever you go, There you are.~
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:36 pm

Re: Where's a good place to start?

For the CEH specifically I'm not quite certain where you would want to go.  I have a pdf of the review guide, but I haven't taken the exam yet myself so I'm not going to say one thing or another about what to study specifically for it.  There are quite a few books reviewed on this site with pretty expert opinions on them from some of our members. 

My suggestion, would go along the same lines as most of the posts here on the subject.  Get familiar with protocols and perhaps some basic programming.  Check out Insecure.org, and thier top 100 tools list.  Nessus, Metasploit, and Nmap are three of my fav's but they are just three of a huge number of very useful and powerful tools.  Wireshark is another of my favorite tools, but have a general understanding of a wide breadth of tools is probably best.  BackTrack is a great Linux distro for getting a taste of different tools, and having them all pre-installed and in one place.  Right now, I always keep a thumbdrive with me that has BT3 beta on it.  It's bootable, and allows me to have scanning, probing, and exploiting abilities with me wherever I go.  Or, to just reset passwords for built in accounts and whatnot at work.  BackTrack has somewhere over 300 security tools built into it by default, which is just sweet. 
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

Cirdan

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:46 pm

Hey, thanks for the awesome tips, g00d_4sh.  I'm downloading Backtrack Beta 3 right now.  I'm trying to learn Linux distros and bash scripting right now (using Cygwin currently), so I'll be able to work on both at once.

Take care,
Cir
<<

Negrita

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:04 pm

Firstly I recommend Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Prep by Michael Gregg. You'll even get some change from your $50.

Secondly, it has been my personal experience that the Backtrack betas have been very buggy and unstable in the past. I have not tried the Backtrack 3 beta though. If you're still learning Linux I suggest sticking with a stable release.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:20 pm

I did the course thorugh New Horizons and found gaps when I went to sit for the exam. I have used the tools and really like metasploit. Good luck.
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

KrisTeason

Post Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:12 pm

I Agree With Negrita, The Beta Versions of BT Werent Stable Enough For Me Either. If Your Going To Be Working With VMWare, I Suggest The Sites Back Track 2 Distro. It Runs Smooth. You Could Get It Below.
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/160/8/
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:20 am

Cirdan wrote:Hey, thanks for the awesome tips, g00d_4sh.  I'm downloading Backtrack Beta 3 right now.  I'm trying to learn Linux distros and bash scripting right now (using Cygwin currently), so I'll be able to work on both at once.

Take care,
Cir

if you are trying to LEARN linux, you'd be better off installing linux
<<

shawal

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:15 am

Cygwin is a great POSIX environment for windows, it will be useful later on for runing some penetration testing tools such as john the ripper, and could be useful as a scripting environment if you want to automate tasks and other stuffs. one thing that motivated you to learn about this stuff is that you want to protect your environment, you can simply start by reviewing the patch management procedures, staging of patches, and antivirus updateds, group and system policies, runing vulnerability tool against a test machine with a similar setup of your production machine and interpreting the logs, try to learn how to defend against, and what is the best effective procedure to utilize against well know script kiddies/automated attacks. windows security is massive, there are tools from microsoft that can help you audit the state of patches on your machine,  secunia psi is another tool you can use, research file integrity checkers to protect yourself and systems from rootkits installed by malware, protect against malware by having your antivirus up to date almost all the time. hope that helps :)
RHCE, GIAC GCIH.
<<

eth3real

Post Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:39 am

shawal wrote:Cygwin is a great POSIX environment for windows...

There is also andLinux. I have not tried it, yet, but I have read some really good things about it.
Put that in your pipe and grep it!

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker