New to ethical hacking

<<

karmanya

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:40 am

New to ethical hacking

Hey, im new to all this..
I know there must already be a huge load of threads about this but can someone tell me how to get started?
I read a couple of threads, especially one started by someone called kaizo, honestly i think my case is a lot similiar, right now i know a little bit of html and sql(not too much though) and im starting on python.
Most people here seem to be saying that the guy who started that thread needs to know about networking, i was wondering if that would apply to me as well. Also i wanted to know should i abandon the little html i know and start python? or should i contine html and learn javascript, php, css etc etc
<<

Negrita

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: New to ethical hacking

It all depends on what you want to do with it all in the end. Only you know that.

I don't think you can go wrong by studying networking. Even if you are just going to do application programming, one day you will want to write a program that has to interact with another program on another server in a remote location.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

karmanya

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:08 pm

thanks for the advice.. erm would you know of any good networking ebooks which i can legally get for free?
<<

kaizo

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:43 pm

Hi karmanya!

Looks like we are on the same boat.

I've started reading on the network books suggested by Negrita and I recognised how fundermental networking is to ethical hacking.

I'm affraid I don't know any free books but I think the books suggested on the thread you read is really helping me.

I don't know if this helps but after I bought 'counter hack reloaded' and 'Networkig for dummies' I run out of money so I borrowed one of the other book from the library.

This way you could have the book free and leagal. But personally I try to buy books to support the authors.

regards

kaizo
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:15 pm

I highly recommend The TCP/IP Guide published by No Starch Press. It started as a web reference and then was put into book format. This way, you could do both... support the author with a purchase or if you can't, get all the contents online in a slightly less favorable format.

This one is on my shelf, and I find it to be a great reference. It's not really a sit down and read straight through kind of book seeing as though it is 1,616 pages. On the other hand, if there's a protocol you really want to learn, then go to it and read the whole section or chapter.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

karmanya

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:32 am

Well the thing is, im not really looking to make ethical hacking a career option, just to be a sort of amateur, so i dont think i can buy too many. plus the fact that i live in delhi, india doesnt really help cause i dont think there's any good place around here to buy the books and since amazon/barnes and noble etc dont ship to india, im kind of in a conundrum. Hence I was looking to find some ebooks, i said free because i really dont see the point in my spending valuable cash on a book i can only read when im on my computer(which is around if not less than an hour a day)
Thanks don, ill look into the TCP/IP guide see how much i can comprehend and stuff. Almost every Indian i ask about books recommends The Unofficial Guide to Ethical hacking, but i read a version somewhere and it seems to deal a lot with windows 98 and seems a little outdated.. correct me if im wrong cause i just browsed through it.
<<

Marshel007

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:34 am

I'd recommend getting The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1) and The Implementation (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 2) by the Late W. Richard Stevens, both of them are great

http://www.flazx.com/ebook3482.php
http://www.flazx.com/ebook3483.php

karmanya wrote:...The Unofficial Guide to Ethical hacking, but i read a version somewhere and it seems to deal a lot with windows 98 and seems a little outdated.. correct me if im wrong cause i just browsed through it.

If you mean the book authored by Ankit Fadia, There is of course a second Edition that is Published in 2005, and I don't think it still talks about windows 98.

http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide- ... PKYBF8RFRW

peace,
Marshel.
Last edited by Marshel007 on Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

karmanya

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:54 am

@Marshel- i stand corrected.. as i said i only browsed through it.
@everyone- ive started reading the tcp/ip guide and i must say im intrigued.
as soon as im done with that ill try those richard stevens ones.
If no-one minds ill continue to record my progress here.
<<

rance

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:17 am

karmanya wrote:everyone- ive started reading the tcp/ip guide ... as soon as im done with that ...

If you can manage read the TCP/IP Guide cover to cover, I'll be impressed!  ;D
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH
<<

karmanya

Post Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:42 am

well, reading isnt that new to me.. though i must admit ive never read 1500+ pages on my computer before

Return to Network Pen Testing