New member, just got me one of these...

<<

rance

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:18 pm

New member, just got me one of these...

Ahoyhoy,

Been reading the boards here for some time, figured it was time to chime in.

I took the C|EH exam on the 20th of Dec and passed with a 74%.  Not thrilled about the score, but I was studying off of older material (and I didn't study very hard), and many of the questions I thought were very poorly worded.  There was one I went over three times, even tried drawing out the question on the dry-erase card they gave me in the exam room to try to visualize the question, just couldn't do it.

The practice exam I used (Exam Prep) really seemed like it was nowhere near what the actual exam was like.  In fact, about 10 questions in to it I remember thinking "this is nothing like the practice test!"  Again, this could have had to do with the fact that I was going off older material (probably v4, book was published March 2006).  For the most part though, I sat for the exam with my "off the street" knowledge, and just really flipped through the book and practice exam.

All that being said, I thought the exam was pretty easy.  I was a little spooked because I've read numerous posts here stating how difficult the exam is/was.  With proper experience in the industry, one shouldn't have much problem passing the exam.  I feel that my failures were mostly related to silly memorization things like "What are the two cybercrime laws that.... blah blah?"  Things like that.  Reference items you don't use on a daily basis.  Tools wise, theory wise, etc, I thought it was all pretty rudimentary. 

Anyway, as a little background.  I've been a computer fiend since about `86 or so.  A Commodore 64 was the first computer I owned, and have been hooked and tweaking ever since.  I entered the IT world about 11 years ago, and the past five have been spent strictly in the Security arena, mostly on the technical side.  Which is okay, I really don't want to take the CISSP.  :)

Anyway, hello!
Poking at security since 1986.  +++ATH
<<

geekyone

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: New member, just got me one of these...

Welcome!!  ;D  Do you really not want to take the CISSP because you read how hard it is or do you not want the certification?  Honestly I just passed the CISSP and my study method seemed about the same as yours.  I skimmed the book (All-In-One) and went in with mostly just my experience in security.  I did fine.  I think you would probably do about the same on the CISSP as you did with CEH.  Well that is my unsolicited 2 cents!  Again welcome!
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:06 pm

Hey Rance,

Welcome to EH-Net, and thanks for finally coming into the fray after watching the boards for a while. Glad to have your input.

I do agree with your overall thought that experience is king and always will be.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

rance

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:05 pm

geekyone wrote:Welcome!!  ;D  Do you really not want to take the CISSP because you read how hard it is or do you not want the certification?  Honestly I just passed the CISSP and my study method seemed about the same as yours.  I skimmed the book (All-In-One) and went in with mostly just my experience in security.  I did fine.  I think you would probably do about the same on the CISSP as you did with CEH.  Well that is my unsolicited 2 cents!  Again welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome.  My un-desire to approach the CISSP basically comes from the fact that I looked over the material in a couple of books, and it all seemed very management/policy oriented.  Booooring!  I'm a techhead, so really digging in to policy and the like is incredibly uninteresting.  Considering the length of the exam, and the breadth of the material, it just seemed like I would have to memorize a bunch of stuff I really wouldn't use in the real everyday world.  Who knows, my company will probably require it at some point, then I'll just be screwed, I mean, urged in to taking it.  :)
<<

rance

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:13 pm

don wrote:Hey Rance,

Welcome to EH-Net, and thanks for finally coming into the fray after watching the boards for a while. Glad to have your input.

I do agree with your overall thought that experience is king and always will be.

Don

Hey Don!  Thank you as well for the welcome.  From what I gather, you're the keeper of this place.  Thanks for creating a nice site for ethical discussions of hacking and the like.

From what I can deduce, the ChicagoCon appears to be put on by EH-Net.  I'm actually really interested in that if there's going to be an `08 version.  I'm just next door in Iowa, so that's be a quick and easy one to get to, and I really like the event list that was posted for `07.  Do you have any news on an `08 C-Con?
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:55 pm

I do. How about I create a new post with what I have so far. Nothing like a little vaporware.  :-X

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

CommGirl

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:27 pm

rance,

I'm preparing for the CEH with EC Council material. You say the test was easy mostly because you have been working in the area.  Well, I have not been working in the security area.  I want the cert so I can get into security.  My background, I have had a few computer technician jobs and was a network admin for a little while.  I have A+, Sec+ and CCNA.  I currently manage training for IT people and do portal stuff (web).  Anyway, can you give me some advice on what to concentrate on besides my books? 

Thanks

Commgirl
<<

venom77

Post Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:44 pm

At the least, before taking the exam, pickup a copy of this book: CEH Official Review Guide

You may also want to have a look at this one: CEH Exam Prep

And definitely (if you haven't already) create a virtual lab environment to get familiar with the tools.

Considering the rest of your background.. if you study from one of the exam review guides and get familiar with the tools, you will do just fine on the exam.
<<

rance

Post Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:19 pm

CommGirl wrote:rance,

I'm preparing for the CEH with EC Council material. You say the test was easy mostly because you have been working in the area.  Well, I have not been working in the security area.  I want the cert so I can get into security.  My background, I have had a few computer technician jobs and was a network admin for a little while.  I have A+, Sec+ and CCNA.  I currently manage training for IT people and do portal stuff (web).  Anyway, can you give me some advice on what to concentrate on besides my books? 

Thanks

Commgirl

It sounds like you have a fairly well rounded background.  I'd say make sure you have a solid understanding of TCP/IP, Ports, Protocols, etc.  You'll also want to be very familiar with the tools that are covered in the book.  I was surprised  by the number of Snort questions there were.  There's a lot of general knowledge stuff in the exam, which was probably covered by your Sec+ exam.  As BillV said, set up your own test environment and fiddle around.  As you're fiddling, use a packet sniffer (Ethereal/Wireshark) to watch what's going on, that'll give you a better understanding of what's all happening.

Good luck!

Oh, and welcome to EH-Net!
<<

CommGirl

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:41 pm

Rance,

You are totaly awsome, thanks.  Dude, check this out.  Our section is reorganizing and they asked me if I wanted to go into security....I said OF COURSE! So I will start working on CISSP stuff....God is looking out for me :)  I hope to sit for the CEH in the next three months.  I have a teenage daughter that I have to monitor on the net so why not try my tools out on her.....she will never know.

Commgirl
<<

sgt_mjc

Post Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:33 pm

CommGirl,

BillV gave me the same advice and it worked out for me. I took the EC Course and found when I sat for the exam the first time, that there were things not stressed in the course but were on the exam. Good luck.

Mike
Mike Conway
CISSP
CompTia Security +
C|EH
<<

paul_w_bader@hotmail.com

Post Tue May 20, 2008 12:13 pm

Hey all...
What am I going to get out of acquiring a C|EH cert? Are companies hiring based on having it? Or is it generally looked at as a "dumbed down" cert because so many people cram for it in a bootcamp but really have no skills? Just looking for more general opinions before I shell out the $$... I'll probably do it anyway, but who knows?

Thx
<<

venom77

Post Tue May 20, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi Paul,

Welcome to EH-Net.

I can't speak for the newest version that's about to be rolled out, as I'm not familiar with the new modules, objectives, etc. I also am not aware of your background. For all I know, you could be an IT Security professional with 15+ years of experience, in which case a CEH may not be of much benefit. On the flip side, you may just be looking to get into security.

Either way, the CEH course is a good overview of the hacker methodology and the vast array of tools that are available. Just as the description on the EC-Council website states, you will become familiar with using many different tools and programs that are out there to help you scan, attack, and defend a network.

As for whether employers are looking for people with CEH, have a look for yourself.

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask if you have further questions.

BillV

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker