which certifications are very good..

<<

proudindian

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:14 am

which certifications are very good..

which certificates are very good for networking pros....one BCA or BE student how can set his or her life as a networking pro.which certifications they need to do from first to last which can help them to be the neworking security pro or EH.

this topic is for those people who are interested in EH or pro networking administrator..i mean carrer interestes and for guide them.....
<<

venom77

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:29 am

Re: which certifications are very good..

That's hard to say without knowing what your interests are. You could be a network professional with no certifications, vendor neutral certifications, or vendor specific certifications. It depends on what you want to learn.
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:38 am

Well, if you look around at the certs that the different people on the site have, a number of them have some networking certs mixed in with the security ones.  Network + is a decent one for an 'into' cert into networking.  It has info on networking different OS's and general cabling and whatnot.  One nice (though devalueing) thing about the Network + and other comp TIA certs are that they never expire.  Nor do they require credit hours to keep them current, like the CISSP does.  I'm currently going for my CCNA at the moment. That's a Cisco cert, but one that is pretty much universally accepted.  It goes a lot more into mid to larger scaling networking, and working with switches/routers. (Which makes sense as it's from Cisco).  It expires after 2 years, but you can put the 'CCNA (expired)' tag on your resume, which still looks good.  CCNA and other less 'hands on' tests unfortunately seem to be getting less and less credibility with so many answer dump sites.  TestKing and whatnot have really made it rather easy to pass straight test certs, which I hear is making the more practical hands on tests more valued.

I'm not sure of your general experience proudindian, but I would also suggest getting your A+ cert just to give you a better grasp on the hardware side of things as well.  Or at least read up on what would be required in the cert.  A+ is very 'first cert' ish... but it will give you a skimming view of networking, protocols, hardware, configuration, repair, and troubleshooting.  I guess the new A+ exams focus a lot of customer service... which is ok I suppose.  It may mean my fond memories of the exam are out of touch with current day reality regarding it though.  None the less, I would suggest you look into some of the entry level certs before you burn money on the more expensive ones.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:19 pm

As always, a certification will only set a baseline of knowledge for you. Experience will always be king. That being said, when looking for a job, certs do get your resume a second look at least on the straight networking side. So you're on the right path with CCNA. I would also look at Security+, then go forward with your Cisco certs like CCSP and CCIE. CCIEs are regularly the top paid professionals in salary surveys.

On the other hand, if you want to be a pen tester on the web app side, an understanding of programming and SQL are a must. There is much less acceptance of certifications on the programming side of IT. It's changing with MS SQL Server and the revamping of their certification program, but then again, not all shops are MS. In the programming world, experience is by far the most important item on your resume.

Then you have some great certs from Red Hat, and they are very hard thus very respected. They even have a security specific cert. In the Linux world, look more towards LPI credentials if it's not a Red Hat shop.

And the most respected cert of all in security is CISSP. But this is more towards security management and theory as opposed to being a practical exam.

Hope this helps,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:06 pm

I'm planning to get my CISSP within the next couple years... but one thing that has bothered me emensly is that my boss was able to get hers a few years back.  My boss... is rather poor on the technological side, and horrid in her security knowledge and implimentation.  The fact that she was able to pass the CISSP by just studying CISSP for dummies... kind of blew my mind.  She was good at the memorization, but I'm really hoping that the test is more... 'testing' than would appear with her having been able to pass it.  That's just a bit of a side rant on my part.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"

Return to General Certification