64 bit Linux?

<<

g00d_4sh

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm

64 bit Linux?

Alrighty, a question for those of you who are Linux inclined, such as myself.  But hopefully those who know more than me (not hard).  I have my new lappy in the mail, an Asus F3... and I am planning to do dual boot goodness with Kubuntu/XP.  For the Linux distro... I was planning to go with Kubuntu since I like the interface.. and basically was planning to add in a number of the programs I regularly use from BT2.  Now my laptop will support up to 4 gigs of RAM, which someday I was planning to upgrade to... and to fully utilize that I would need a 64 bit OS yes?  My question is this... is the driver support/program support out there for 64 bit Linux Distros, or is it like XP/Vista where it would be a major pain in the arse to get drivers.. and more than likely half my programs wouldn't work?  The programs in question being Metasploit, Nessus, Nmap, aircrack, and so forth.  Ideas? 

Thank you ahead of time for your responses, I've been very pleased thus far with the help I've seen given here.  You are all doing a good job.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:01 pm

Re: 64 bit Linux?

I hate replying to my own post... but my laptop is due to arrive in a few hours.. and I hate the idea of wasting time installing 64 bit linux if it's not going to be compatable with programs such as Metasploit, Nessus, Nmap and so forth.. and if the state of drivers ofr it sucks as much as XP/Vista.  Any experience out there on this?
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

Kev

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:51 pm

I have found that if you intend to use 64 bit Linux as a server, then it makes sense. If you are mostly running 32 bit programs, you are not going to see much improvement other than the boot times,etc. The driver issue is not terrible and there is a reasonable amount of basic solid support due to the fact linux was more popular for OS for servers early on, but most hacked drivers we use for wireless auditing are not compatible, at least a while back when I tried them. So again if you are using it as an attack OS, stay with a regular distro. If you are going to use it as a server ( which I am sure you wont since its a laptop) go with the 64 bit. 
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:52 pm

you shouldnt have any issue running those programs in 64bit linux
<<

jason

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:19 pm

And you don't necessarily need 64 bit linux to use 4gb of ram, as long as you're using a kernel with PAE support.

Return to Hardware