Vista: Should I Buy?

<<

firemastrr

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:22 am

Vista: Should I Buy?

Is Windows Vista worth buying right now, or should I wait awhile first?  How is the security?  It's supposed to be better, but is it really, or not?  Facts and opinions both welcome.
<<

Kev

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:41 am

Re: Vista: Should I Buy?

I played around with vista, but to be honest I am not a big fan of it so far. Its very pretty, but a memory hog.  There are still driver issues and other compatibility issues.  It is more secure, but you can harden XP pro with 3rd party apps that do a good job of competing with vista. If you can afford it, you should get vista just so you can talk about it intelligently with your clients if you are involved in IT. If you have a state of the art box and really into gaming, you will need it to run directX 10. The sad thing for Microsoft is the amount of people that have dumped vista to go back to XP. 
<<

hades_a

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:44 am

Hi Firemastrr,

First question is what is it you want to do? As a general OS Vista is better than XP... we ran Vista since beta 2 and the question that I always asked my pilot user group at the end of each 'bug' report session was.. 'Ok who wants to go back to XP'... no one ever did and since we have rolled it throughout the enterprise life has become a lot simpler as far as support goes. However third party apps are still playing some catch up so you may need to run emulators and virtual machines to get your old apps to function properly

Is Vista more secure than XP... yes it is due to its dual user and user account control very little happens without the user being aware... that being said security is all relative and already some hacks and rootkits exist for Vista. Not as many as any other OS but then again Vista is the new kid on the block and not that prevalent yet.

From a business and commercial point of view you need to ask yourself... what added benefits will Vista give me at this time should I upgrade... is there software that you need that only runs on Vista? Is your hardware built for Vista? etc...

The one downside is that it is a resource monster and you will not get away with less than 1.5GB of RAM just to have some decent performance from your machine.

Is Vista good... how long is a piece of string I guess... hope this post has helped answer your question a little.

C
MCSE 2003:Security, Security+, MCITP:EA
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:20 pm

Well, my office was kicking around the idea of switching to Vista.  We have since thrown out the idea, after hearing horror stories of incompatability issues with both hardware/software.  We have a number of divisions that use programs like AutoCAD and ArcGIS and such.  From the research we've done, quite a number of these programs as of yet don't work well (or at all) with Vista.  The added strain on system performance due to Vista's resource hogging, combined with using graphics programs... really sealed the deal of us just throwing out the idea.  We have XP working fine, and hardened... and we saw no compelling reason to force ourselves to immediately upgrade hardware, and give ourselves headaches with trying to work Vista in.  For security, I'd personally go for a Linux box over Vista any day. 

The question of whether Vista is a better OS than XP is a good question.  I won't go so far as to say that Vista is one of the top 10 most terrible techs of the last 20 or so years... but it has been said on Cnet.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029 ... -10,00.htm

I personally consider Windows ME to be a far worse product.  Infact at a recent Microsoft sponsored conference I went to.. the M$ rep went so far as to say ME really stands for "Major Embaressment."  He got points in my book for admitting that, since most everyone considered it to be crap.  Windows 7 should be better (crosses his fingers), at least it has a much smaller kernel footprint.  I'm waiting for that to come out, and hear reviews on it.  For the moment though, I'm using xp on my windows boxes, and Linux for my 'work' box.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

sedated

Post Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:16 pm

I have been using vista on my laptop since it launched at first i really disliked vista compatibility issues were common and it is a resource hog.But as time goes bye things are improving the security is descent not as good as Linux though.I would just recommend waiting on vista till after service pack 1 and see how that goes.
<<

icetek

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Sedated is right, I have been using Vista on one of my laptops for a while now and have had serious compatibility issues. Cisco VPN never worked properly and a number of other programs that I like just don't work. I find that I've had program crashes more than I ever did than XP. I'm guessing that in the service packs they should (hopefully) improve compatibility and stability. Good luck in your purchasing decision!

~icetek
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:29 pm

Well I tried Vista for a few days on my new laptop.  Unfortunately, I found it every bit as bloated and slow as rumors said.  I have since wiped off vista and put on XP and Ubuntu.  Sadly, I found a harder time getting drivers for XP than I did Ubuntu.  New Asus laptops seem to be ill supported for the 'old' XP os.  :/  None the less, things are all up and running now which is good.  I would hold out for Winblows next OS personally.  They seem to go in a 'hot/cold' or.. vice versa patern.  95... kind of crappy, 98, pretty decent, ME... horrid, XP, pretty good (aside from memory leak), Vista... so far pretty lame.  I'm hoping the pattern will be true, and their next OS will be ok.  Kind of a funny thing, a Windows rep at a conference I was at earlier, neglected to put ME on their 'os timeline'.  When asked why, when he was accepting questions, he hung his head a little and joked that at Microsoft they refer to ME as 'Major Embaressment'.  I found that pretty entertaining.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

Kev

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:54 am

Microsoft is attempting to push vista by claiming it will soon drop support for XP. If that scares a highly security conscience company, they may have no other choice but to go vista.  It used to not  bother me if client machines were running unpatched if the network itself was locked down very tight, but now with client side attacks growing in sophistication, keeping every computer on the network locked down is very important. If an organization doesnt like their security being at the whim of Microsoft, that is when Microsoft needs to make more money,then perhaps its time to look at Linux.
<<

!Sack!

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:59 pm

I have been using Vista Business edition on my laptop for 4 months now. Some of the problems that I ran into include slow logon to the domain, large memory and CPU utilizations needed to run the Aero desktop theme and re-named old features like Add/Remove Apps has been renamed to Programs and Features.

For a normal "home" user Vista has a better built-in security, but if you know what you're doing, XP can be as secure.

If I have a choice between XP and Vista, I would have to choose XP.
<<

PaulMakselon

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:30 am

haha.. seems like im not really going with the flow here...  but i have been using vista ultimate for quite a few months now and i dont have any problems with it...

i guess it depends on your system spec.. but iv seen nothing but better performance and a nicer GUI :)

i wont go as far as recommending ppl to switch to vista.... but i recommend ppl give vista a shot.. (especially since sp1 is now out)

i am yet to come across any driver/incompatibility problems that have hindered my usage of my computer.
<<

RoleReversal

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:28 pm

I seem to be in an army of two for not having issues with Vista. Using it now to type this. For day to day use I have no issues, compatibility hasn't been a problem and so far all of my software works fine.

In my opinion it is nicer to use at user level than XP. Some of the anoyances, UAC etc., are in my mind improvements, the one mistake MS made in this regard is to allow users to turn this off. I have no issue with needing to take a couple of clicks to do anything 'risky', can't see any difference with needing to su[do] to root in 'nix. Plus on a support side, friends and relatives can't complain about not knowing what they were doing when they have to click a confirmation.

Whilst I hve no complaints with Vista I should clarify due to target audience that I have a second laptop on hand for any security/incident response tasks and use Vista for administrative purposes. Bottomline, your mileage may vary.
<<

iSmith

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:08 am

if you have a system that passes vista requirements with some room to spare, then you should get it. if you have never used vista and are going just on other peoples comments, you'll hate it. however, vista users say it's very good. give it a try.
In my eyes, your operating system is as solid as swiss cheese.
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:23 pm

We will all have to go to it some time so i say jump in and tell us how you like it. You can always roll back.

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

Mr. Roboto

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:35 pm

Compatibility is my main qualm with Vista.  A business which I work for occasionally has began migrating to Vista.  They did not test all of their software and have found that one of their core applications does not run on Vista...in fact, it won't even install.

Honestly, I like the OS.  It is very user friendly and very nice to look at.  For the average user, Vista is a good choice.
A+, Security+, HDI Support Center Analyst, MCTS: Vista
<<

RoleReversal

Post Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:35 am

Mr. Roboto wrote:... found that one of their core applications does not run on Vista...in fact, it won't even install.

are you able to tell us which application? Was it mainstream or in-house?

Just trying to get a better feel for the bigger picture, thanks in advance.
Next

Return to Opinions