CERTIFICATIONS HELP

<<

manju_salian

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:47 am

CERTIFICATIONS HELP

HI,
  I am working in MNC comapny as a security engineer . I am very much interested in this profile. I had a experience working in windows and Cisco product. Please let me know for which certifications should i go. I am bit interested with CEH but is this Cert is worth enough in todays Industry.
Please help me to take away my confusions.

Thanks In advance ???
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:01 pm

Re: CERTIFICATIONS HELP

Well, I'm in a somewhat similar position.  I'm actually federal sector, but I'm 1 week from taking my CCNA, just finished up ccna3 and 4 classes.  Next I'm grabbing my Security +, Network +, and CEH.  The CISSP is also a good one to look into, as it is widely accepted and respected.  I'm gunning toward network security management, so I am splitting up certs in both the security and networking arenas.  I already took the classes for the A+ and Linux +.. so I will probably end up getting those too.  The comp TIA certs arn't overly impressive, but at least they don't expire and you don't have to worry about them too much.  From what I have heard the CEH is growing in acceptance.  It is definately rather popular... quite possibly due to the name alone.  CISSP is a solid security cert that looks good to management though, and is worth looking into.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

Kev

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:29 pm

CISSP is a more excepted cert and well respected.  The CEH cert is growing in acceptance but I have found it still gets mixed reactions.  The term "hacker" has been so played up in the press as something negative. Even if you say ethical, some people assume you were a black hat at one time and now have decided to focus on security, because they have read a lot about people doing that.  If you have the CEH along with some other accepted certs, that would be the best combination.  At least that has been my experience.
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:16 pm

do a sans course like GCIH if you have the cash
<<

manju_salian

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:45 am

Thanks for all the suggestions and i am going ahead for CEH certifications and had subscribed for the  :)training.

Thanks a lot
<<

terryyppslc

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:34 pm

SANS offers excellent training. I took both the GCFW (Firewall) and GCIH (Incident Handler) tracks. If you can attend a SANS conference do so! You will meet a ton of interesting people and learn a great deal. I was fortunate enough to attend a week long track in Las Vegas last year for the GCFW then I did the GCIH with a local mentor. Both have their advantages.

The conferences are more expensive but you see and do so much more. The downside is the material is presented very quickly and it's hard to absorb everything in five days. Going with the Mentor program or doing the online track may be better if you plan to attempt the cert. You have more time to digest the material and try out all the stuff you've learned each week.

I can't praise the guys at SANS enough. They are very professional and are worth every penny.

Return to General Certification