Certification advice

<<

MCR

Post Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:14 pm

Certification advice

[color=red]Hi All,

I was wondering for Ethical and penetration certification information sites and i found this site. I started my career with Software testing, after that i got a chance to work in Security companies. Currently i am working vulnerability assessment product testing. I have good understanding on windows,unix,linux and network techs.

I want to build my career in security area.I found some good certification like GSEC,CEH,CISSP and SSCP.

Could any body please advice me which certification is better to get into penetration testing?

Cheers,
MCP
[/color]
<<

nicky.coder

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:13 am

Re: Certification advice

Hi,

I suggest you to go for OSCP.There is a wonderful review written by blackazarro..
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/ ... 1/#msg3741

Hope this helps.
Sec+, OSCP
<<

th3magist3r

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:58 am

how can you complete the certification progress, if you can't find a training center near you? (let's say you 're from a country in europe?)
<<

LSOChris

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:10 am

you can take certification tests in Europe.  i sat for my CISSP in belgium, its doable.  there are also several prometric and vue centers in the bigger cities.  now if you live in iceland, it might be harder.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:43 pm

If your desire to do it is strong enough, you can do it without a training center. Every cert is doable via the self-study route. It's harder and takes more discipline, but many do it. Plus, you'll save yourself a lot of money.  ;)

Plus... you have us to help.  :)

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Florin

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:03 pm

I confirm that you can take certification tests in Europe.
I am from Eastern Europe, and I can take almost any type of certification exam, e.g. CEH, CISSP, SSCP, Security+ etc.

The big minus will be if you want to take the training center route, there are many of them but the experience of the instructors is not as valuable as the one from the instructors from the western Europe. But if you really want a certification, as Chris already stated, it's doable.

I earned my Security+ via self study, now I am taking the OS-101 course, and in spring I will go for  the CEH, all via self study.

This site is a valuable resource for any  one who is new to the Security field, and I have to admit that this site and the members of the forum changed the path of my career.
Security+, OSCP, CISM, CISSP

Return to General Certification