Advice on SCP

<<

nicky.coder

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:57 am

Advice on SCP

Hi All,

I would like to know more regarding certifications offered by SCP. Is it really good to take certification offered by SCP? Is this having a market value?

Thanks,
Sec+, OSCP
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:49 am

Re: Advice on SCP

its coming back around and the new people running it are putting alot of time, money and effort into updating and expanding the content.

but "value" is really really subjective and based alot on what you want to do and where you live.
<<

nicky.coder

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:21 pm

Thanks ChrisG for your valuable advice.

I need to increase my knowledge level and I am looking for the next appropriate certification. I can either move for a vendor based cert or vendor neutral cert. But I am not able to make a final decision on where I should concentrate. I believe certifications wont make you technically competant, but they do give a minimum level in the job market.

I have expirience in conducting penetration tests and vulnerability assessments. This also includes web application testing. Now I am interested in a cert where it focuses on vulnerability research. Can anyone advice me to be on this track??
Last edited by nicky.coder on Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sec+, OSCP
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:32 pm

SCP certs are good as they are focused on the tech and not theory. They have a diagram on their site that gives a good honest view of the security cert landscape including credentials by other organizations:

http://www.securitycertified.net/skills_map.htm

Plus, as Chris mentioned, they recently started a big push to get back in the game. To be honest, they kind of fell of the face of the Earth, but have a great opportunity to take advantage of being listed in the Dept of Defense Directive 8570 as a required security cert.

Hope this helps,
Don

PS - In the interest of full disclosure, SCP advertises on EH-Net.
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:13 pm

Thanks for that link, Don. I like how they don't discredit other certifications, or try to act like their certifications are at a higher level than others. They have a nice map that outlines a good variety of security certifications on that page.
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 pm

infosec institute does a course, i have not taken it, but i have a friend who did and said it was good.

pretty sure its this one:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses ... ining.html

they also have a reversing course but i havent heard anything about that one.

i think don or mentioning EH.net can get you a discount.

hope that helps
<<

nicky.coder

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:52 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all wonderful opinions.
The training offered by Infosec is great but it is not an apt solution for me because I am not US based and it requires travelling which is very expensive :-) for me.

Have anyone heard of online courses offered on advanced penetration testing. I have two such links CBVA (https://www.iitac.org/content/view/132/110/lang,en/) and CRCEP (https://www.iitac.org/content/view/128/110/lang,en/). These courses come from the creators behind DVL and reverse-engineering.net
I would like to here opinions regarding these course and its value!!!
Last edited by nicky.coder on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sec+, OSCP
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:12 pm

looks interesting but i'd like to see the syllabus and how the online training is taught, i do have a bit of experience in online training.

if you are on a budget the 2 recent reversing books have gotten good reviews

Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering 

Hacker Disassembling Uncovered (Uncovered series)
<<

nicky.coder

Post Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:10 pm

I have read the first book "Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering". It is a good one. I have to check the second one.

I would also like to add another good book "The shellcoders Handbook" http://www.pdfchm.com/book/the-shellcod ... oles-8882/
Sec+, OSCP
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:27 am

oops i thought you were more into reversing than exploit dev.  for exploit dev, yes shellcoder's handbook and the art of exploitation are excellent.  2nd edition is coming out soon for art of exploitation.
<<

nicky.coder

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:32 pm

Hi ChrisG,

Second edition of Shellcoder is out. Checkout my previous post. It has a link to pdfchm.com where you can download the book.
Sec+, OSCP
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:52 pm

yeah i know, i own it, i figured you meant the 2nd edition for SH,that's why i didnt mention it

Return to General Certification