Building A Lab for ethical Hacking

<<

Marshel007

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:22 am

Building A Lab for ethical Hacking

Hi everyone,

I know there's a few posts in the forums here that talks about building a lab to practice security (ethical hacking). I've already read some of them.

in this post I just want to share with you the way I'm gonna build my lab, hopefully with your comments and maybe criticism I'll do best.

first here is a simple MAP:

by the way I know there is something called "Virtual Machine"
I tried it and its Okay  8)

and here is Objectives that I want to achieve:

- Practice setting up Active Directory & DNS on the windows boxes.
- Practice setting up SAMBA on the Linux box.
- Get Snort and Ethereal and learn to monitor traffic.
- Practice tightening the kernel on Linux.
- Read up on the Windows services and see which ones you can disable w/o breaking authentication or replication.
- Set up VPN's and RAS in ALL of the Boxes and learn to harden them.
- Practice MONITORING SECURITY LOGS.

and more that I can't remember right now.

and also practicing to get Certifications like:
[CCNA or RHCE or MCSE, CEH, CPTE, OSWP and OSCP]

It might take some time to get all those, but it doesn't matter how long it will take. because I'm having fun right now and I don't want it to end  ;D
<<

venom77

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:19 am

Re: Building A Lab for ethical Hacking

Hi Marshel007,

Welcome to EH-Net :) Good to see you've already found several of the posts that contain information in regards to setting up a test lab.

It sounds like you've already put quite a bit of thought into this and what you would like to do/accomplish and you seem to have a pretty good plan.

Good luck and if you run into any problems and have questions, there are a lot of helpful people around here.

Bill
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:43 pm

Let me welcome you to EH-Net as well.

All I can say is Wow! You're on the right track both in the planning of your career and your attitude. You'll go far.

As for comments on the lab setup, I think this is the way to go. VMware is great, and I use it often, but as many will point out, albeit small, there are some differences when attacking a real machine vs a virtual machine. And with the cost of computers coming way down for some of the older models that can still run XP decently well (and no prob with Linux), you can setup a "real" environment to test.

You're also on the right path when it comes to what you want to learn. Just learning how to hack a machine doesn't give you a security career. Knowing Snort, Wireshark, VPN setuip, logging, AD, LDAP, etc etc makes you much more valuable to an employer and it gives you a much better big picture view of security.

Well done my friend,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Kev

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:40 pm

Yes you are on your way. But be free to set it up in different ways. I like to attack the server and then go to client boxes. Other times I like to attack a client and then own the server. My point is, you should be flexible in your lab configuration. There is not just one way!  Keep changing it around. Also, when you are more comfortable, try introducing a lot of traffic to make a real feel of a congested network.  If you play with it., you can really make it feel like a live network you are attacking.  One important point is to install each OS in its default configs. Then keep updating until you can no longer exploit. Then try installing 3rd party apps. See if you can exploit those.

The best lab is a flexible thing that you play with. As they say way too often, think outside the box! 
<<

Marshel007

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:55 am

BillV:Thanks, thats what I hope to accomplish.

don: Its good to here this from you, I'm trying to do my best.

Kev wrote:Yes you are on your way. But be free to set it up in different ways. I like to attack the server and then go to client boxes. Other times I like to attack a client and then own the server. My point is, you should be flexible in your lab configuration. There is not just one way!  Keep changing it around. Also, when you are more comfortable, try introducing a lot of traffic to make a real feel of a congested network.  If you play with it., you can really make it feel like a live network you are attacking.  One important point is to install each OS in its default configs. Then keep updating until you can no longer exploit. Then try installing 3rd party apps. See if you can exploit those.

The best lab is a flexible thing that you play with. As they say way too often, think outside the box! 

Noted, I'll try to make the lab more flexible as you said, and thank you.

once again thank you all guys.
Last edited by Marshel007 on Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Marshel007

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:50 am

Last night I was playing with my lab more than I should, let's just say that I messed up some stuff, and three of my
PCs went down  >:(
and I only have one PC now, which have 1 GB ram, Do you know what that means ?? Yep, thank god I still get the
chance to run VMware and setup another Virtual lab, until I repair the other Boxes  :D

Anyway, on top of windows XP-SP2, I installed 3 VMs:
- Windows server 2000
- Windows server 2003
- Linux (Fedora and Back|Track2)

This is what I did the first time when I first got the chance to setup a lab:
- scanning and discovering the security holes on windows 2000 server
and hardening the system and close unneeded ports (make it more secure)
Note: some may argue that windows 2000 server is too old and you won't learn anything from it.
will, it is always good thing to start from point zero and start learning, so after I feel that That I got
bored from windows 2000 server then I go to practice on windows 2003 server and so on.

- setting SAMBA on the Linux box.

Also, I found real great book called:
Practical Hacking Techniques and Countermeasures
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Hacking ... 700&sr=8-1

It shows a lot of the most common security holes and how to exploit them and close them. I wouldn't recommend it for Newbies because it doesn't explain exactly how these holes work or how did they show up.
But, it is great if you already knew about networks, at least that is my opinion.

...and I' will tell you guys more soon when I got the time.
funny thing is when someone have a lot time to kill he doesn't do any thing useful, and when someone is so busy
he remembers how could he invest his time in learning new skills.

as I said before [any comment or suggestions would be great help for me ?? ]

Peace.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:40 pm

Seems like a pretty good find on that book. I hadn't heard of it before now.

You're so right about how people manage their time. So many people complain about not having enough, but then don't utilize it to the fullest extent. Others get paralized thinking about a big project and never start. It's like the old saying...

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

One should do a little every day and you'd be amazed at what they accomplish after a month or even a year.

Keep up the good work,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

geekyone

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:54 pm

_Marshel_ sorry to hear about your PC mishap.  One suggestion I would make is that after you rebuild/repair your lab you get a good baseline image of all your machines before you start "messing around" again.  That way no matter what you do it is much quicker to get your lab back up and running again.  Good Luck!
CISSP, CEH, GPEN, GCIH, GCFA

Return to Network Pen Testing