too bad

<<

amede0

Post Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:27 pm

too bad

hello everybody,
I just lose my job because i introduced the ECCouncil qualification form to pass the CEH cert
i sent it by the hierarchical way and three days later they came and took my pc for  analysis
they found the metasploit installer, a rar of cain, and the exam prep guide that i just finished to download to sent them back to my storage mail

i won't stop studying security for this because it's more of a passion for me

what dou you think of it? am i a total ass or just unlucky?
CCNA
<<

LSOChris

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:14 am

Re: too bad

i'm gonna say unlucky
<<

dean

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:27 am

Sorry to hear about the loss of your job but based on your email it sounds like a reasonably large firm and so probably has policies and procedures in place covering personal/private use of your workstation and more. Any good policy will cover what can or cannot be installed on that machine too.

Today with the media getting all hyped up about the latest compromise, most companies do not take kindly to finding those sorts of tools on a company computer. Their liability, depending on the industry and country, can be huge regardless of your intentions they are required to show due diligence and take action.

Then again if there are no policies in place and the country laws are non specific you might have grounds to dispute your dismissal.
<<

venom77

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:18 pm

That's very unfortunate, but as Dean pointed out, it may just be policy. And if not, by all means you should contest it.
<<

amede0

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:45 am

they  said it was policy
they were very nice anyway i had the possibility to explain myself,
i told them i am studying security they also had a copy of the ceh form i introduced. they said that they have to dismiss me  due to the policy and i can understand, there is topics (even in here) that discuss about some risk like that

anyway thanks for all your reply
i feel a little bit less alone in the freaky part of computing loll

never had that feeling? speaking in the desert while giving a simple answer about computing?

it happens to me a lot these days specially when i speak about some project of mine with ex colleagues or nerdy friends

i m kinda computer addict loll
CCNA
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:28 pm

well you always have to be conscious of your company's security policy.  when you become a security person you'll be wanting to flame/fire people for not following YOUR security policy.

i've also run into, alot, that employees treat work computers as their personal computers which they are not and that is usually where issues and violation of policy come into play.
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:35 pm

I understand your pain dean, I happen to work for a rather security paranoid (and rightfully so) organization with pages and pages of rules regarding computer use and installed programs.  All installed programs have to be OKed from my boss, her boss.. then Wash DC.  First thing I did, before I even hinted at installing anything, was to talk with my bosses boss, and with my boss and explain what programs I would like to install and their purpose.  I also explained my desire to gain the CEH and to work on security learning in general as a future focus of my career. 

After going through all the hoops, I have basically been given free reign to do as I like within proper bounds.  If I am going to do any scans I of course have to let the proper levels of boss-hood know, and get consent etc.  You just have to remember to cover your own 4ss first and foremost.  If you happen to scan something, and find a vulnerability.. you don't say a thing until you have gotten written or emailed permission to scan.  Heck, I had to get rid of Putty the other day, because a new policy regarding that specific program was implemented after a compromised machine was found using port 22 to connect out.  Not all policies make perfect sense, but remember your first priority is keeping a paycheck comming. 

It's a sad thing hearing you got canned over it, but I think it is a good reminder to the rest of us to watch out for our organization's policies as well.
"Bad.. Good?  I'm the guy with the gun"
<<

dean

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:45 pm

g00d_4sh, I think you meant amede0 and not me. :)

I'm sorry for the outcome but on the other hand it is good to see that a company is enforcing it's policies. Most don't or do so selectively.

/dean
<<

LSOChris

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:58 pm

Dean its ok...

keep studying and you'll pass that CEH  :P
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:34 pm

Ooops!  You're right, I ment Amede0... >>  Sorry, I'm rather tired.  Been studying for my CCNA.
<<

amede0

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:56 am

hey people
just to keep you informed, i found a new job
as a service engineer in a NOC for the international division of the main ISP of Belgium.

That roxx
CCNA
<<

Dengar13

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:16 am

Congrats!  Have you started yet?  If so, how is it so far?
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:46 pm

Congrats Dude!!

Brian
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

g00d_4sh

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:47 pm

That is good to hear.  And I'm sure you know your companies policies inside and out now eh? :P  I'm glad to hear things worked out for you.
<<

venom77

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:29 pm

Good to hear and thanks for the follow-up. Congrats! :)
Next

Return to Opinions