Help Syngress with 'Stealing The Network' Finale - WIN a prerelease copy!!

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:11 pm

Help Syngress with 'Stealing The Network' Finale - WIN a prerelease copy!!

EH-Net and Syngress publishing are working together to make the final book in the amazing Stealing the Network Series the best yet. Answer the questions below and don't be shy, because...

The 5 members with the best responses
as judged by Syngress and EH-Net
will each win a pre-release copy of the book.

Dear Stealing the Network Reader:

We are currently writing the final book in the “Stealing” series, “Stealing the Network: How to Own a Shadow” by Johnny Long, Tim Mullen, and Ryan Russell. As a reader of one or more previous books in the series, we value your opinion and would greatly appreciate you providing our authors and editors with constructive criticism and commentary on the series as we develop the climactic finale.

1. How many books in the series have you read?

2. Which book is your favorite and why?

3. Are there books in the series you do not like (please explain)?

4. Do you prefer completely unrelated stories (How to Own the Box) or stories that are connected to the same plot (Hot to Own a Continent and How to Own an Identity)? Please explain why.

5. Do you think the level of technical detail is too low, too high, or just right for:

How to Own the Box?

How to Own a Continent?

How to Own an Identity?

6. After reading any book in the series, did you find yourself looking forward to another book? Why or why not?

7. Which chapter of all the books was your favorite and why?

8. Which chapter of all the books was your least favorite and why?

9. Are you more drawn to the characters, the plot, or are you just along for the tech?

10. What tech would you like to see covered?

11. Would you be interested in other tech fiction books or short stories?

12. Feel free to provide any other comment, suggestions, criticisms, etc.

We've talked w/ many readers of these books over the years and received lots of different opinions on what people have liked and not liked. We are now trying to quantify this as much as possible to help us develop this final book. These books are somewhat unique, so we've not had much of a roadmap to follow :-)

Thank you!

Andrew Williams
Vice President & Publisher
Syngress Publishing

Good luck,
EH-Net Editor-In-Chief
Last edited by don on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:51 pm

Re: Help Syngress with 'Stealing The Network' Finale

I'm quite surprised that this has not generated a single response. I would think at least 5 members would have responded considering, at this point, no one will get free copies of the book before it is released. If only 5 respond, then those 5 automatically are chosen as the best.

Are you one of those 5?

I know some of you have read at least one of these books. And don't tell me that 5 minutes of your time isn't worth a $40 book.

Thanks,
Don
<<

ehadsell

Post Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:05 am

Re: Help Syngress with 'Stealing The Network' Finale - WIN a prerelease copy!!

I tried to reply once and my logon timed out...silly me.  Here are my answers again:

I have read Own the Box and Own a Continent.

I prefer Own a Continent a little bit more.  Slightly better content in some chapters and more integrated story line.

No.  I haven't had a chance to read Own an Identity.

4. Do you prefer completely unrelated stories (How to Own the Box) or stories that are connected to the same plot (Hot to Own a Continent and How to Own an Identity)? Please explain why.
I liked the way the characters were developed in Own a Continent.  It made it easier to continue reading instead of starting over each chapter.  That being said, individual short stories/chapters can also be interesting.  So, the difference in preference is slight.

5. Do you think the level of technical detail is too low, too high, or just right for:

How to Own the Box? just right -- I enjoyed reading the story and relating to the technology without getting lost in the details.

How to Own a Continent?  similar comments -- seemed to be more detailed in some chapters; overall, I like the level of techicals details.

How to Own an Identity?

6. After reading any book in the series, did you find yourself looking forward to another book? Why or why not?
Definately, it can read these and enjoy the story while also learning more about security.

I liked chapter 3 of Own a Continent.  I liked the walk-through of the wireless exploitation.  I enjoy wireless security books/stories.

No chapters stands out as being horrible.

9. Are you more drawn to the characters, the plot, or are you just along for the tech?
The plot seems to make the difference.  There needs to be a stong plot built for the tech to  fit into the story.  Overall, I was impressed with the plot in both books.

More wireless.  The content sofar has been good.  I like it.

Yes, I think these tech fiction works break up the normal geek-tech reading that I do.  Makes for an interesting read.

Continue the great work.  I look forward to seeing how the new book turns out.
<<

Dengar13

Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:56 am

Own the Box

Only read Own the Box

I liked the one book that i have read.

I liked the layout of Own a Box.  It didn't seem long and drawn out and kept me interested in each different story.

Own the Box.  I felt it was at my level but definitely not designed for a beginner.  That said most people with at least 6 months experience will feel right at home.

How to Own a Box:

I guess so.  I like it but not enough to shell out the money again.  I would prefer getting one from a library as my funds are tight.

Chapter 6, Flying the Friendly Skies - Joe Grand.  Like the previous poster, I too am intrigued by wireless security. 

Chapter 9, BabelNet.  I found the content very boring.  SMB is not my cup of tea.

This book seemed to cover all avenues.

Absolutely, as long as they hold some truths to them on the technical side.  Complete fiction would be bogus!

From the one book I have read I liked.  I would/have recommended this book to my peers and would welcome reading more.

A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:55 pm

Would this get more of a response if your answers were not available for the world to see? We could create an email account specifically for entries, so no one but EH-Net staff and Syngress Reps see your responses.

Thoughts?

Don
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:45 pm

<<

Dengar13

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:30 pm

Come on people, a free book!  A good one a that too I am sure.  Just take the time and reap the benefits.  ;D
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
<<

renolc

Post Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:39 pm

I haven't read any of the whole books. Only the provided samples of Identity.

Identity. It's the only one I have read any of, so I don't have much choice, but what I have read I really enjoyed.

n/a

I would prefer the connected story. I much enjoyed reading the adventures of Blaine and Flir in the samples. I liked getting to know each character and watching him/her progress. It would seem kind of tedious to have to start all over each chapter.

How to Own the Box?
n/a

How to Own a Continent?
n/a

How to Own an Identity?
From what I read, it seemed perfect.

Well, sort of. I haven't heard of this series previously, but after reading the samples, I became very interested in the final book.

I very much liked all of the chapters involving Blaine and Flir. The college setting was believable and interesting to read. I find myself wanting to read more about them.

I can't really think of any. At first I didn't like the idea of Identity switching back and forth between 2 seperate stories, but then I found out they were connected. :)

Mostly the tech followed closely by the characters.

Something considered modern day would be interesting. Something like blogging or podcasting. Although I don't think they would fit very well into the story, so I'll leave that to the writer[s]. :P

Oh yes. Very much so.

I haven't had the chance to read enough to provide a thorough examination, but from what was provided, I really enjoyed reading this book [Identity].

Since I haven't actually read any of the books, I don't know how eligable I am for this contest thingie, but I'm very interested in this book so I thought I'd give it a go anyways. :)
<<

Dengar13

Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:54 am

At least you took the time to try.  Now contribute more on this forum and you can win a kick a$$ prize!  Tel your friends too because the more the better! 
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
<<

Negrita

Post Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:09 pm

What's the deadline for this offer?  ??? I've just got hold of a copy of "How to own a Continent"  and also "How to own the Box", and I need time to read them and make a decent reply. I have read the example chapters you posted and I could reply on those like renolc did, but I'd much rather give proper feedback about entire books.
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

ceh_eskatoi

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:59 am

I have read: How to Own the Box, How to Own a Continent, and How to Own an Identity.

How to Own a Continent is my favorite at this point - it seemed to me to be the right mix of plot and technical information.

NO!  They were all excellent books!

4. Do you prefer completely unrelated stories (How to Own the Box) or stories that are connected to the same plot (How to Own a Continent and How to Own an Identity)? Please explain why.

I enjoyed stories loosely connected by the same plot more than the totally separate stories.

How to Own the Box?
See below.
How to Own a Continent?
See below.
How to Own an Identity?

My take on all three is that I want tidbits that I can take and use on my network (wow - the 'find' command does THAT?), architecture tips that I can use as a lesson in general (hmm - 'ssh' from home *isn't* a good idea), and 1337 hax0r tech that makes for an entertaining plot while remaining in the realm of reality (manually hacking ssh).

Yes, after reading How to Own a Continent (the first book I read), I looked forward to How to Own an Identity and How to Own the Box, which I devoured as soon as I could get my eyes on them.

Chapter 8 of Identity was my favorite - the actions fit the character very well and the resolution was not only technical, but interpersonal as well (polluting the trust relationship between the identity collector and the identity distributor).

All the chapters covered brilliant technical detail - loved them all (in all three books that I have read so far).  One chapter had a difficult plot moment: Chapter 9 of Continent.  In the "A Worm by Any Other Name" section, Knuth receives a call from an anonymous female voice which initiates Matthew's demise.  It was not evident why this took place - what plans of Knuth's were being interrupted.  It seems like a plug to kill off Matthew.

I'm drawn to the tech and I am intrigued in the vehicle (a plot) to deliver this.  This seems like a step toward American Manga - I like it.

Phone systems (anything); system insecurities, detection, and defense; stealth and stealth tracking; DDoS attack types, remediation; general (and specific) infrastructure attacks, analysis, and defense; and always - tools.

Yes, I would be and am.

Please continue the genre.  Please continue to highlight, underscore, make bold the directions that Security (in general) is taking, the human aspect of this, and the implications this has for our society.

Thank you.
<<

Negrita

Post Wed May 10, 2006 6:00 pm

OK, I've finally finished my books. I hope I haven't missed a deadline or something. I was in a bit of a rush, as I never received a reply to my previous post.

2 books; How to own the Box, and How to own a Continent.

They were both good books. I did however enjoy How to own a Continent a bit more as the separate stories and characters from How to own the Box seemed to come together into one big connected plot.

No, they were both very good.

4. Do you prefer completely unrelated stories (How to Own the Box) or stories that are connected to the same plot (How to Own a Continent and How to Own an Identity)? Please explain why.
I prefer stories that are connected to the same plot, as it adds continuity and gives you something to look forward to in coming chapters.

How to Own the Box? Just fine for me.

How to Own a Continent? Just fine for me.

How to Own an Identity? I have not read this book in total, just the 3 chapters posted here, and they too were just fine for me.

Yes, after finishing How to own the Box, and having read the other members answers here, I was intrigued to see how all those type of stories could be combined into one big plot.

I enjoyed "The worm turns" by Ryan Russel and Tim Mullen from How to own the Box, because I was intrigued by the idea of engineering a worm that would neutralize another worm.
Another chapter I enjoyed was "The art of tracking" by Mark Burnett.

The only part of "Babel Net" by Dan Kaminsky in How to own the Box, that I enjoyed was reading the IRC chat between 31ph_ and dw0rf. The rest of the chapter I felt was just Dan promoting his own tools, at the expense of the plot. The chapter "Return on Investment" by Fyodor in How to own a Continent, was much better and more enjoyable in this respect, and  shows how Dan could have incorporated the self-promotion and the plot together.

I'm drawn to all 3. The books would be a total flop without 1 of those elements.

I would probably enjoy reading more about firewall and router exploits, and also packet manipulation and protocol exploits.

Yes, very much so.

Do h3X and Dizzy ever meet? Will they get married?  ;)
CEH, CCSA NG/AI, NNCSS, MCP, MCSA 2003

There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:47 am

The new book is slightly behind schedule. Syngress is looking to have printed copies in August to coincide with the Black Hat Conference with copies for the general public in mid to late August.

The answers by our members have been reviewed and will continue to be as the new book is being written. So there is plenty of time to add one of the Stealing Books to your summer reading list and answer the questionnaire.

Don
<<

Dengar13

Post Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:32 pm

don wrote:The new book is slightly behind schedule. Syngress is looking to have printed copies in August to coincide with the Black Hat Conference with copies for the general public in mid to late August.

The answers by our members have been reviewed and will continue to be as the new book is being written. So there is plenty of time to add one of the Stealing Books to your summer reading list and answer the questionnaire.

Don

Any word on the winners?
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:47 pm

We haven't stopped taking entries and probably won't for another couple months...

So keep 'em coming!

Don
Next

Return to Mass Media