Any Advice ?

<<

Cranis

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:59 pm

Any Advice ?

Hey i just registered and thought id say hi and ask if anyone has any advice they can give me ? Im really new to this whole thing but im hoping to go to university to study Ethical Hacking & Countermeasures, so i was wandering if anyone could give me any projects to work on to try and get used to what it is like, i have many networked PCs in my house so i could use one to test on etc.
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain - Bob Marley
<<

venom77

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:53 pm

Re: Any Advice ?

Hello and welcome to EH-Net :)

It sounds like you're already on your way to learning. There are a lot of good tutorials, posts, and other resources that you'll find very helpful and useful on this site. And if you run into anything specific that you're having problems with, chances are if you post about it you'll get an answer from someone that's already been through the same thing.

In addition to your networked PC's, I would suggest experimenting with virtual machines. The reason being that they're very easy to "clean up" should anything go wrong.

Before getting too far into hacking and so forth, it's good to have a solid foundation/understanding of common networking protocols/techniques/etc. I would suggest starting there (without knowing your background).

Best of luck :)

Bill
<<

JeffCT

Post Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:10 pm

Re: Any Advice ?

Here's a few things I'd recommend from my experience:

Read the Hacking Exposed books

Buy a copy of VMware Workstation, or just download VMware server if you can't afford it. Setup a lab, install and try every OS you can get your hands on, run pen testing and vulnerability assessment tools against them. You'll likely be using VMware on the job as well. From experience I recommend running it under Windows, simply for the effortless hardware support (it'll save you time, trust me)

Throw out any major OS bias if you have one. OS zealotry will get you nowhere in this field...you better know Windows just as well as Linux, because you'll be seeing it a lot. It's not too hard to stay sharp on both though, since you'll be running most of the tools from Linux

Start studying the CISSP CBK, even if you're a ways off from taking the test. It's a very good foundation of knowledge for security and gives you a good idea of the business aspects of it as well.
Last edited by JeffCT on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CISSP, CEH

Return to Network Pen Testing